Tuesday, March 15, 2022

YESTERDAY RAIN!

Being white and able to understand Cantonese gives me the opportunity to listen in on conversations, such as when I'm having a delicious tea-time pastry and hot caffeinated beverage in Chinatown before smoking my pipe on Waverly Place.
And such exciting conversations too!
Like you could imagine
.
"Old Wong had a major operation recently."

"Eh?"

"I said 'OLD WONG HAD AN OPERATION!"

"Oh."

[Pause.]


"His heart. He has heart trouble."

"Eh?"

"HEART TROUBLE!"

"Oh. Um."

In a way I feel sorry for Old Wong. I don't know exactly what his heart problem is, or what the operation was, but now everyone in the bakery doesn't know exactly also. The helpful lady behind the counter. The boss lady in the office. The two ladies with brooms.
Besides the two people having the animated conversation.
And me; such luck!

Continued:

"It's going to rain tomorrow."

"Eh?"

"RAIN. TOMORROW."

"What?"

"RAIN TOMORROW. RAIN. TOMORROW. RAIN."

"Rain?"

"Tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?"

"Rain."

They'll both be back there on Wednesday. I won't, but I won't need to know that it rained yesterday. Rain. Yesterday. It rained yesterday.
After finishing my pastry and milk tea I left and lit up my pipe. There were few people about, it being late in the day, and the sky looked leaden, as if there might be rain soon.
Today, for instance.

If Old Wong is a pipesmoker, he'll be out of luck.
Unless he has an umbrella. Such as I do.

He's welcome to join me.


I haven't a clue what he looks like.
Chinese, would be my guess.


Yesterday's post-tea-time smoke was very nice.
I'm looking forward to today's.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...