Wednesday, June 29, 2022

SPLENDID PARADIGM

The dulcet tones of a Toishanese speaker singing in Mandarin could make one think that one was in Indonesia. Somewhere in Jakarta, one of the peripheral kampongs populated by Orang Betawi. Because the song was originally in Indonesian before some clever Johny translated it into Mandarin. As an added frisson: the singer on screen was a buxom Malay type, female. The singer at the bar was a short male baritone. This would have upset or seriously discombobulated any sensitive Texans had there been any of those present.
Too much gender-bending for such simple types, too San Francisco.

Oh yes, cowboy. Oh yes.

One other thing: Having brought two teabags with me, because neither the karaoke joint nor the bar before that cater to crusty farts who avoid alcohol because it might interfere with their high blood pressure pills and therefore don't have real tea on hand, I was quite zipped to the eyebrows when we left. The walk from the bus stop to my front door was with a spring in my step, my right leg was not a pain in the gand as it usually is. I shall have to remember that for the next time.

Normally I spend no time thinking about the tender feelings of Texans.
We have so few of those good Christians here.
Thank you Jesus.

Although, for a moment is seemed like Kahn Souphanousinphone might make an appearance. But we were spared. Heaven is merciful.
By the time the bookseller arrived I finished my smoke, and we ended up sampling the house red at the burger joint as usual (I had soda instead), followed by the beer at the beat hangout (tea), and headed toward the musical place. Stepping around the street dude who had taken up residence on the sidewalk, we entered a den of inequity which has been remarkably well run since Jenny took over, where this time the kwailo outnumbered the Toishanese. It was considerably quieter than the beat hangout. And the water for tea was at a better temperature.

Tea water in bars usually is lukewarm; a sorry state of affairs.
Perhaps they aren't familiar with civilized beverages?
Maybe it's better among the puritans in Texas.


The bookseller is planning to move back to this quadrant of the city sometime in the next few months. It's more civilized here. I'm guessing that there are fewer Texans than out in the avenues.

I'm not obsessing about Texans, it's just that karaoke naturally always makes me think of Kahn Souphanousinphone, who is a famous Texan. I actually don't know any Texans.
But Kahn is a perfect example of the type.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SPOILED BRAT TANTRUMS

It speaks volumes that several hundred people staged a vanity protest on both the Bay Bridge and the Golden Gate, and, in a country with mor...