Wednesday, October 13, 2021

MISSING THE TOURISTS

But on the other hand, I feel fine, it was a lovely walk, and I enjoyed my lunch. So it was a good experience. Despite the overload of cheese. What I ordered was, bizarrely, in the "Western Style Food" section of the menu (西式餐 'sai sik chaan'), even though by all rights it should have been in the "So Hong Kong You Could Scream (And Perhaps You Should)" part.

焗海鮮飯
['guk hoi sin faan']

A layer of egg-fried rice topped with seafood in a cream sauce covered with shredded cheese and placed under the broiler to bubble and brown a bit, resulting in something which was very creamy fishy cheesy and artery clogging. A cholesterol bomb. There were shrimp in it.
To a Hong Kong person, it ain't 海鮮 ('hoi sin') if there are no shrimp.

To be honest, it would've been perfectly fine if the rice wasn't fried with egg. Totally. Maybe add some onion, and a pinch of nutmeg. Plus perhaps a dusting of paprika.
But that's the Dutchman in me talking.

Of course, a Dutchman would've dumped the seafood, cream sauce, and shredded cheese on fries and put it in the oven till everything was gooey-melty, so it would not have been one whit healthier.
After finishing my lunch I went and hung around a bit on Waverly, where there are almost no white people and consequently one needn't worry about getting infected by obese diabetic syphilitics from Mississippi not wearing masks and curse them breathing.

There is no pandemic in obese diabetic Mississippi.

All those dead people? Traffic fatalities.

Cars couldn't dodge them.


Okay, I'll admit it. I'm a bigot. I don't like tourists. Most especially not folks from the great pasty face beer-sodden red-state outback of this country.


And I'm actually a rather unpleasant person; I don't like most people. The ones I like are some Chinese Americans, some fellow pipe smokers and a few cigar smokers, a book store worker and his friends, and um well that's basically it.

Oh, and my apartment mate. Because of whom I shall not lunch in Chinatown today, as she will probably bring home food for my birthday, so I probably won't run into a single tourist.

I like cats. And people who are like cats.


Do you lie in a sunbeam sleeping?

If so, call me.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...