Monday, October 04, 2021

ACCEPTABLE GOOFBALL

Due to Facebook being down today, I lost out on six hours of valuable research I could have been doing! Either space aliens or virology. Gotta catch up with the red states. And, apparently, Belgium. Actually, I simply read the news, took a shower, and went down to my bank. Then had Portuguese Chicken Rice (葡國雞飯 'pou gwok gai faan'), followed by an AWESOME smoke in a Benton I put back in the rotation today. Absototally aweforkingsome. Eleven on a scale of one to ten. It made the barking loonies in the park fade into the shrubbery, so to speak.
Which is all exactly what I would have done if there had been no problems with Facebook today. I know more about both space aliens and virology than the average Trump voter in the red states anyway, and entirely discount whatever the rightwing dingos on social media say about those subjects.


Apparently, my pretense of being a kwailo is not good enough. One of the people who works at the place where I had lunch keeps referring to me as 假鬼佬 (a fake barbarian). I would've thought that stinky foreign devil (好臭鬼佬 'hou chau kwai lou') would have been more accurate. Apposite (合適嘅 'hap sik ge'), even. Given that I smoke a pipe. But no.

I've always operated on the presumption that I am 100% kwailo. And being so white that I glow in the dark, that rather does work for me. But when I want eaties, reading the menu plus the specials on the wall is incredibly good. Seeing as there are fun things to eat there.
And I like being treated as culinarily on par with other diners.


比利時式青汁燴鰻魚
['Pei lei si sik ching jap wui maan yü']

One of these days, I sure of it, I will discover a Cantonese Restaurant that offers anguille au vert (青汁燴鰻魚 'ching jap wui maan yü'; "paling in het groen"). Which I have done at home a few times, but it would be really nice to discover it as an offering at a chachanteng (茶餐廳) for lunch. With a pile of rice. And a hot cup milk tea on the side. Preambulatory to a post-lunch stroll with a pipe.

If any Chinatown restaurant owners are reading this, please make it happen. It will be totally as unappealing to most Americans as everything else you do, but the locals will love it.
比利時式青汁燴鰻魚: Belgian style eel in a green sauce.


Cautionary note: do NOT offer beer with that. You'll never get rid of Dutchmen and Belgians if you do. We'll happily party in our new-found home away from home till the wee hours. And share recipes for unidentifiable deep fried objects (frikandel, kroket) with you.
As well as delicious pastries.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

WELL, HOW DID I GET HERE?

There is an air of distraction to the streets in C'town nowadays. People seem lost in thought, absent minded, somewhat out of it. And mo...