Wednesday, September 16, 2020

SUFFICIENT SOCIAL POLISH

A meme posted by a language maven on Facebook spoke to me. It's about the dating scene, and offers advice. And it's so perfect that it actually just might work.


HOW TO START A CONVERSATION WITH A GIRL WOMAN

"Hi. What's your favourite class of Germanic strong verbs? The predictability of class 1 is a nice relief, though the variety of class 3 owing to historical phonological developments is admittedly quite intriguing."


This illustrates several things. Number one is that as an interpersonal approach this is infinitely better than astrological signs, the weather, or the frequency of her being in that particular place.
Secondly, an interest in her intellectual development is expressed, and her considered opinion about an important subject is invited. This is good.
It says that she is more than just pretty eyes and a passive rote learner. Provided one gives her a chance to speak, without constantly interrupting her, one might hear a nuanced and in-depth response.
Things might go further!
And as an ice-breaker, it's a winner. Solid gold.
Also: conversationally, I am not good.

So far, my best relationships, with women or men, are with people who seldom or rarely make spelling mistakes or serious grammatical errors.


There's an article about Strong Verbs on Wikipedia: Stærke Werk Wördes


It's fascinating.


I'd probably be dynamite at the Faculty Club social.
But I'd have to gate-crash it to be there.
Strong-verb my way in.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...