Wednesday, July 15, 2020

CHINESE MASTERS OF BRIAR

Thanks to the internet there are now several Chinese pipe carvers whom I know. Not well, of course, given that they're on the mainland, but I've seen enough of their skill to value them highly. In the Chinese context, briar pipes belong to the scholar-literati world, along with calligraphy, seal-carving, the tea arts, classical music, and rarified collectables.

Keep that in mind, as it clarifies the extremely high degree of artistry and the practiced eye that leads to the following photos, which I lifted entirely without permission from their Facebook pages.

These briar pipes are all masterpieces.

And worthy of consideration



Chao Han-Qing (赵汉青)





Chen Ce (陈策)





Shan Xiong






Shi Pu





Liu ZhiJun





ShanLiang Xie





Gao Jie





Eagle Fang





Xu Hai





Cang Zhenming





Huang Jiaji (黄佳奇)





Xiaoyu Yan




Eagle Fang lives in Guangzhou, as does Shangliang Xie. Shi Pu lives in Beijing, so does Gao Jie. Chen Ce lives in Liaoning. Chao Han-Qing is a resident, I think, of Shantung. Or thereabouts.

Shu Hai is in Beijing. Cang Zhenming is in Baoding, a city south-west of the capital, which is as far away from Tianjin eastwards. Huang Jiaji lives up far north, near the gulf of Bohai.
Xiaoyu Yan is in Beijing.

Other than their beautiful pipes, which show refined sensibilities and classic aesthetics, there is not much I know about these gentlemen.

And there are probably many other great Chinese carvers whom I will in due course discover. I very likely cannot afford their pipes, but I can certainly admire what they do.




TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Nate said...

Up until now I had no knowledge of Chinese master carvers.

These works are truly excellent. Thank you for borrowing their images.

Search This Blog

THEY'RE GROOVY AND SENTIENT!

In many ways I am a severely disapproving sort. I dislike tattoos, piercings, patchouli, raggedy tee-shirts, potsmoking, public misbehaviour...