Wednesday, July 27, 2016

NIHILISTS AND STRANGERS IN THE ALPS

This blogger has, quite unjustly and inaccurately, been called 'Buster'. Which is unfair. I am in many ways quite unlike Buster from Arrested Development, and much much more like Walter Sobchak from The Big Lebowski. I cannot identify with Buster in any way.

Primarily because, unlike a gentleman who is a regular visitor to this blog (Mastick), I am not passionately interested in Ms. Liza Minelli.
Mastick himself may actually be channelling for Buster.
And probably put these words into his mouth.


"I want to see what happened to my sweet girlfriend Liza Minnelli. I want to know what happened to my woman."


Sweet Jayzus!

In this life, who can ever say that someone, anyone, is "his" woman?
I had a woman once. I took her to see India, at The Oval.
We split up.

Walter Sobchak would offer this in lieu of that: "You want a toe? I can get you a toe, believe me. There are ways, Dude. You don't wanna know about it, believe me."

Nah, I'll pass on the toe. It's all or nothing. In this case, nothing.

"Eventually she'll get sick of Wheelie Boy and, you know, might wander on back."

That's not how it works, Walter. Splitsville is for keeps. And in any case I've gotten over it, I keep my eyes open. She and Wheelie Boy can be a lovely dysfunctional couple now. That previous situation is a gilded memory, a fondly remembered part of the past, but it's gone.

"When you split up, you turn in your library card?"

No, Walter, you just don't get it, do you?

"I would like my undies back."

That makes one of us.

Only one.


INTERRUPTION FOR CHEERFUL WAR MUSIC!

[SOURCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rODFb8YJP9E.]

Regarding the series Arrested Development, reader Mastick drew my attention to an article on Time Inc's website:

"The Emmy winner was discussing his character Buster Bluth’s affair with the very bedazzled, very vertigo-afflicted Lucille Austero, played by Minnelli. Netflix previously resurrected the cult comedy, and on Thursday, the Veep star reunited with his Arrested co-star Will Arnett for photos.

Asked if another season of the show could actually happen, Hale reveals he doesn’t know any more than the rest of us. "It’s a lot of scheduling. A lot of people are doing different stuff and it’s nine people to get together.
I really want to see where the story continues."
"
End quote

---Tony Hale, speaking as Buster.


Although the possibility of a fifth season is very good news, this proves beyond a shadow of any possible doubt that I am not Buster.
For one thing, I do not look like him.
At all.


PHOTOGRAPHIC PROOF

Here's a picture of me:


And here's a picture of Buster:


See? No resemblance whatsoever. From which one can deduce that while I have tremendous respect for Ms. Liza Minelli and her entire oeuvre, I am just not obsessed by her, and quite uninterested.


I cannot possibly imagine her delivering these lines:

"Donny was a good bowler, and a good man; he was one of us. He was a man who loved the outdoors, and bowling, and as a surfer he explored the beaches of Southern California, from La Jolla to Leo Carrillo and up to Pismo. He died like so many young men of his generation, he died before his time. In your wisdom, Lord, you took him, as you took so many bright flowering young men at Khe Sanh (*), at Longdoc, at Hill 364. These young men gave their lives. And so would Donny. Donny, who loved bowling. And so, Theodore Donald Karabatsos, in accordance with what we think your dying wishes might well have been, we commit your final remains to the bosom of the Pacific Ocean, which you loved so well. 
Good night, sweet prince."


The cheery martial music came about because I had been watching the Knights Who Say 'Ni' on youtube, and one of the things suggested for my viewing please in the sidebar was "We Are Coming Father Abraham". All of this was on the third screen, while I was reading the Time article on the second. It seemed extremely appropriate.

I cannot explain the Walter Sobchack thing.
That's just a mental blip.

Ni.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...