Thursday, May 13, 2021

OLD, BITTER, AND OBSESSED WITH PILLS AND SNACKS

A recent conversation on social media anent the fracas in the Middle East right now, where everyone hates Americans except when we're useful, stands out for several things, not least of which is something I said: "nowadays I'm much more interested in medications and fun things to eat. And there is absolutely no reason to associate with rightwingers, ab initio." And over the years there have been several comments underneath my blog posts that indicated that my participation was, in any case, quite worthless and unwelcome. Neurotic too.
So while I still support the same sides, I am staying out of the fray.

I'm more interested in medications and fun things to eat.

I was also accused of being old and bitter.

Not so! I still like Hello Kitty!


Hello Kitty and I like the same things. Canned tuna, hot milk tea, cookies, and fine pipe tobacco blends compounded of aged Virginias, red ribbon, Louisiana Perique, and not too much firecured Kentucky. Canned tuna is excellent with hot sauce, by the way.

A friend in one of the pipesmokers forums is recovering from a spell of neurological dysfunction that coincided with the second dose of the vaccine, as well as strokes. Having myself had a minor stroke a few years ago which made using my right hand almost impossible for several weeks (it took several months before I regained nearly full functionality and clear handwriting, which I hid as much as possible), I not only feel for him, but I think I can understand some of his frustration. Also, I'm wondering if it corrected his unreasonable hatred of Latakia.
Altogether something with which I never could sympathize.
He likes grits and Bourbon. I'm not a fan.


I've spent way more time on pipe forums in the past several years than involved in political discussions. More fun, more like-minded people, more milk tea.
And remarkably more Hello Kitty.


Latakia is a smoke cured tobacco from the Middle East. Formerly made by curing Shek El Bint (the maiden's cleft, a mutated relative of Burley grown in Syria) over smoldering oak and brush, now it's Smyrna-seed tobacco grown in Cyprus cured over burning juniper. The old product had a higher nicotine content, wasn't as resinous and grassy, and left a delightful sherry-like after taste. It was also sootier, because the Syrians were burning their forests like there was no tomorrow. The only things Syria produces nowadays are political repression and roadside explosive devices, and outside the Middle East there's scarcely a market for that.

A signal characteristic is the presence of terpeneols (besides other hydrocarbon compounds) imparted by the smoke curing process. Which markedly suggests that pine wood (viz. pinus pinea) was probably always a component of the combustibles used.

Terpeneols strongly remind some people of lilacs.

As well as Lapsang-souchong tea.

Also Russian Caravan.

And Keemun.

I have a strong craving for ma'amoul right now.
Hello Kitty would probably approve.
Good with a cup of tea.
And a pipe.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...