Saturday, January 16, 2021

TEA FOR THE HECTIC LIFESTYLE

When I came out of the hospital a year and a half ago after appendicitis, I purchased a box of tea bags on the recommendation of one of the staff there. Who, upon hearing that I liked Hong Kong Milk tea, recommended Rickshaw brand (車仔紅茶包 'che jai hung chaa baau').


"The Rickshaw Black Tea is a refreshing and strong aromatic cup of tea which is ideal for your hectic lifestyle, as it clears and calms your mind leaving you feeling composed."


SF Chinese Hospital, mostly Chinese staff.
Top notch medical attention.

I have another box of it under the chair in my room, bought a few weeks ago. I have no idea how my apartment mate thinks about it, given that she is Chinese American. She probably thinks there's a slight touch of unreconstructed white imperialist about it, what with rickshaws being a relic from the bad old days of colonialism and oppression. And me being a Dutchman who speaks Indonesian, and knows far too much about Asia.
But it's made by a Chinese company in Hong Kong.
So it's a lot safer than it could've been.

She drinks Yorkshire Tea, and various other very British teas. That nice strong bracing black brew, perfect for inclement freezing mornings, slogging through the peat bog out back in your tweeds clouting wild sheep, or something.


As a Dutchman (Dutch American) I am naturally an excitable type, all hectic by golly, and often feel like I require mental clearing that calms and composes me.


I must commend the SF Chinese Hospital staff.
They know what soothes the savage beast.
A wild Kaaskop in San Francisco.
Hong Kong Milk Tea.

港式奶茶



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Jeff F. said...

Makes one wonder if there's a Samlor tea, or perhaps a Tuk-Tuk...

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...