Monday, January 11, 2021

A THREE PIPE SOLUTION

A several hour meandering walk from Taylor and Clay streets all the way through Chinatown, culminating at the place of business of a friend, who was watching the news while smoking a cigar. Strange days, we agreed. But light at the end of the tunnel. Another friend sat in a corner scrolling through his cell phone. None of us are on Parler or any of the seditious mailing lists, so we don't know what the radical nutballs are planning. And, seeing as we are in San Francisco, it probably won't impact us much.

But we care about the country.

And share outrage.


Other than a police chase involving twenty vehicles that terminated a block away, it was a quiet afternoon. Smoke drifting ceilingward, teevee on low, warm enough inside. We spoke of mutual friends, including one who had passed away at the beginning of December.
There is an emptiness.
There is also light at the end of the tunnel. A new era starts in nine days. The vaccine is coming closer. The daylight will last longer and warmer weather will return.
Many people I know are drinking a little more and starting earlier in the day, though I myself am as abstemious as before. One of the medications I was taking up till August might have reacted badly with alcohol, and I still avoid it. Another one in combination with strong liquor could lead to stomach bleeds. But everyone else is a little more indulgent than before.
Maintaining one's sanity in these times takes different forms. My apartment mate, who has always avoided liquor, interacts more with the stuffed creatures. Some of whom are trouble makers of no mean proportion.

I smoke more, read a lot more, and draw more.
My social life is nearly non-existent.
Wide open boglands beckon.

Meaning that I am often wandering somewhere on Nob Hill or in Chinatown with a pipe.
Usually before teatime.

I had three smokes while out and about today.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...