Thursday, August 24, 2023

IT'S A PALE LOW-MELANIN THING

One of my favourite FB pages makes fun of white people doing Mexican food. Lots of "tacos" filled with something meat plus shredded cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, and either sour cream or ranch dressing. Side of beans, some sliced avocado. And worse.

Paprika and ⅛ teaspoon cayenne for spice.

I really shouldn't laugh. As a Dutch American, my native diet is cooked potato, frazzled meat substances, and gobs of chilipaste. Washed down with either coffee or herring.

But I live in the United States. I've seen what y'all do to food.

Your cheese ain't cheese.

Last night after the residual heat of the day had lessened, I fixed myself some cooked potato and frazzled meat substances with chilipaste. It was dee-licious!

You true blue Americans would probably have added ketchup, huh?
Or mebbe some ranch dressing.


Cheez Whiz.


NOTE: Image of a woman-pipesmoker plonked gratuitously in this post. No real reason, I just like the idea. Pipesmoking is part of the intangible cultural heritage of the Netherlands, per Unesco. So there.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SOMETHING ABOUT TEETH

Half a year before the United States entered the war, my dad went to Canada and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. As he put it later, he ...