Wednesday, April 14, 2021

OH CRAP!

Are Spaghetti Os™ suitable for Australian sandwiches? And do they taste any more exquisite if you cut off the crusts and present them on fine porcelain? These things have to be pondered, because the apartment mate is taking a British brand of canned spaghetti to work for lunch today. Seeing as she was born here, canned spaghetti is one of her native foods.

Well, that would make it also one of mine. But there wasn't an American store anywhere near where I grew up -- the nearest one would have been across the border in Germany at an army base -- and my parents were quite happy with what was locally available. Besides, everyone knows that the proper Australian sandwich can only be made with "supermarket" bread.
Which was also unavailable.

Sometime between when I came back to the States and the year 1990, the Dutch had developed a taste for it. Having by then discovered Anglo food culture.
So I expect they're now also eating spaghetti, and beans.


Other than donuts, there has not been any commensurate culinary cultural exchange. The Americans have still not learned about herring. And, truth be told, we don't want them to, because there isn't enough.


I have still not eaten canned spaghetti products. Many of the convenient comestibles at corner liquor stores open late at night have not crossed my plate, because, in all honesty, I am wondering if you lot are all right? What traumas did you suffer to make you do that?

I did once snarf onion dip scooped up with sliced baloney with some colleagues late at night after cocktails in a disreputable joint, which was spur-of-the-moment cultural enrichment, and like any college student I've dumped a can of Vienna sausages into a can of chili-no-beans for dinner. So I'm not entirely culturally illiterate. But I've even without thinking managed to not have any chef bo yard ee, ever.
I suppose if I go to the Midwest, or Montana, it will be inescapable.
Sold in the specialty aisles and at fine restaurants.
Along with tuna salad toast points.
Microwavable.


I keenly await her feedback on the experiment.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

QUIET STEW

Figuring out where to have lunch some days is a bit problematic. Not today -- that's already mapped out -- but specifically Mondays and ...