Friday, June 26, 2020

WHITEMANSPLAINING ABOUT WHITEMANSPLAINING

Whitemansplaining. It's a trap that many people fall into. We think that because of our perspective and focus, we have a worthwhile and unique take on a matter, but we'll mistake perception for totality, overlooking that people nearer the subject for a variety of reasons have a different view, and a much broader range of perceptions than our own.

Which we'll tell them all about.


I know Cantonese. And I know Dutch. I do not "know" the Cantonese, and I've not been around Dutch people for over two thirds of my life.
I can attempt some explanations, but I must yield the floor, because I am not Cantonese, nor Cantonese American. On the other hand I am Dutch, American, Dutch American, formerly overseas Yank, and Netherlandish expat, whenever and whichever it suits me, sometimes all at once, and often that isn't relevant anyway. It's entirely my choice.
This doesn't give me "better" answers.


SUBJECTIVE VERSUS OBJECTIVE?

I know a bit more about the Chinese language and Cantonese than most people, but I am not an expert. So while I can attempt to answer some questions and provide explanations, it is only from my point of view ...
which is shaded through my own background, and therefore might stress things which are ONLY important to a Dutch-speaking American.
Might be interesting, but isn't entirely valid.

Likewise, when I explain Dutch things, it will necessarily be influenced by my knowledge of linguistics, Dutch Colonialism, and the former Dutch East Indies. Which is important to me, because my classmates always wished me to understand that they were so much better than the United States, its people, and the horrid imperialism that we represented.

If you ask a native born ethnic Dutchman for an explanation, you will hear something else.

Of course it might be entirely berserk.
That Dutch perspective.


My apartment mate (Cantonese American) explains Chinese things differently. Naturally she does; her perspectives are not the same.
In that field, they're more varied, and more valid.


We can both tell you what you need to know about Chinese cooking techniques; her from her own background (with a few snarky comments about fry oil and soy sauce), me from exposure to her and other people, and incorporating ideas from that cuisine for several years into my own cooking, which was Dutch - Indo - quasi-continental originally, and grew a bit different over time. But if you want real answers, talk to people who cook every day for Chinese folks. Which we don't.


If you want to know about menstruation, ask her.
Arthritis, pipe tobacco, and hot sauce; me.


Antidisestablishmentarianism (反動盪主義 'faan dung dang jyu yi'), existenz angst (存在性焦慮 'chuen joi sing jui luei'), and identitäts krisen (身份危機 'san fan ngai gei'): yeah man, I don't know beans about that stuff, have you heard of Wikipedia?




TER VERANTWOORDING

This essay was prompted by something Viet Thanh Nguyen wrote.
Which was brought to my attention by Bryan Thao Worra.
Their expertise and experience and mine differ a bit.
They know a lot about 'whitemansplaining'.
It crops up more often for them.


I am not Chinese. I am not Dutch (though my ancestry for a very large part is Dutch descent). I can only speak for myself.
Are there any questions?



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...