Wednesday, May 04, 2022

ROOSTER CLOCK

Thanks to a need, I now know what the Chinese terms for alarm clock is: 鬧鐘 ('naau jong'). A quarrelsome bell. That first character is also written as 閙 with the same meaning and pronunciation, which really makes no sense, as 鬥 ('dau') means to struggle, argue, fight, or contend, and is both the signifier as well as the phonetic. And how often does one mention one's alarm clock in daily conversation anyway?


"My alarm clock may be having an existential crisis."

"Have you talked about your alarm clock's feelings?"


The new alarm clock sounds like a rooster. Great comfort for people who remember the farm, or lived next door to neighbors who kept fowl in their back yard less than a block away from the main church in the centre of town (Valkenswaard).

Everyone needs a rooster in the morning.
It could be better than coffee.

Nothing wakes you up like a screaming feathered psychopath at the crack of dawn. And even better: he's two feet away from your ear. It's like a streetperson experience in the safety and warm comfort of your bed!
Honestly, I can't wait till the first time. And not only is this a new experience for me, it will also surprise my apartment mate. And there will be great and abiding joy! Possibly.


In other news: my regular grocery is now entirely out of cucumber flavoured potato chips (黃瓜味薯片 'wong gwaa mei syü pin'). Which will dismay a coworker.

I don't know when they'll have more.
The world is a dark place.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...