Monday, April 17, 2023

LUNCH, TEA, SMOKE, AND AGGRO

On my way to lunch I passed one store with bottles of Sriracha priced at $12.99. Which is an outrageous war-profiteering price! The store right next door wasn't charging that; they simply had none. Despite having oodles of everything else. After lunch I dropped by my favourite provisioners, where the helpful lady informed me "mow, m-tak chut-ge".

There is none to be had.

This Sriracha shortage is for real.
We shall starve!

I envision Sriracha-starved mobs tearing each other limb from limb outside Vietnamese restaurants and salad bars, as they fight each other for every last drop. The zombie masses will leave New York and fan out across the country, ravenous and bestial.

So I bought something else. Not the Huy Fong brand, but Dynasty Sriracha. It looks red enough, I'll know soon whether it tastes okay. Plus I have jars of various sambals in my pantry and my refrigerator. So I will not fear the culinarily deprived hordes.

Back in the dark ages it was difficult to find red chili sauces in the Bay Area, as mid-American blandness still dominated. Turmeric, cumin, coriander seed, and fresh ginger were also hard to find. Lemon grass, shrimp sauce, and curry pastes were almost unheard of. Most white people still ate tuna casseroles, ketchup, and canned beans.
Life was nasty, brutish, and short-tempered.
The real horror won't happen till all of you white bread are relegated to putting ketchup and tuna on your hamburgers late at night. Oh, it will be monstrous.

I may weep for you.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I’ve been known to mix wasabi horseradish with ketchup for a savory spiced make-shift sambal on occasion. It works, though certainly not the same as sriracha.

Though I suspect you may not like to travel far from your neighborhood, SF does have a Grocery Outlet at S. Van Ness that could be of service for such things. It wasn’t too long ago that my neck of the woods, Oakland, despite having multiple food warehouses like FoodMaxx, FoodsCo, Smart and Final, and even a Ranch 99, sriracha was nowhere to be found too. It’s scarce availability at times is concerning, I agree.

Search This Blog

LATE SEASONAL RAINS

Because the teevee is out in the backroom, some of the soon-to-be-decomposed gentlemen in who infest the place had a mediocre day yesterday ...