Tuesday, April 18, 2023

IT'S A PRETTY BOAT!

On several of the pipe smokers forums, one will find selfies of serious looking men with a pipe clenched between their jaws gravidly opinionating about something. Could be their dog. Could be the weather. Could be the deep satisfaction and ellimination of all worries in their lives while enjoying a bowlful of Nixten's Weedkiller Flake in their priceless Comoy Blue Riband or birth-year Dunhill. Could be existential doubt. See the beard.


Like those other fellows, I too often post about my latest smoke.

I seldom post selfies. Instead I will often mention lunch followed by a satisfying puff near Waverly Place, and show one of my pipes drawn against a monochrome background.
Usually pale pastel, sometimes a more intense warm colour.


Currently enjoying the latest in 4th. Generation tobaccos, which is a nice mild-medium flake compounded by Jeremy Reeves at Cornell & Diehl for Stokkebye. Brights and reds, with a soupçon of Turkish and Greek, and a very minor topping which may or may not be hazelnut, but upon first opening the tin it's scarcely even hinted at. It becomes more noticable after a few days. The interplay with fresh air awakens it a bit. It does not wallop you, and is almost not present in the smoke.
SELFIE

A lovely Spring day, relaxing in the neighborhood with my pipe. A fairly complex tobacco.
Though I'm probably not going to stockpile tonnes of this, I recommend it.

There's a backstory to the tobacco involving some ship that went down nearly two centuries ago which is fairly pointless and barely touches on the loss of life, while having next to no connection with the tobacco, but does let them use a painting of the ship on the label.
Nice painting. Nautical. As a Dutchman I can dig that.

Jeremy Reeves has become a top-notch blender. Sofar I've enjoyed all of his efforts in the last three years and made absolutely certain I will not run out of them anytime soon. Both Anthology (mostly reds) and Palmetto (a Balkan that awakens memories I had long not experienced ) are stellar products.



Other things I shall now mention, because they are thematic here and often spoken of, are strong Hong Kong milk tea, sambal, the turkey vulture, and the irritating rightwing cigar smokers over in Marin.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

LATE SEASONAL RAINS

Because the teevee is out in the backroom, some of the soon-to-be-decomposed gentlemen in who infest the place had a mediocre day yesterday ...