Monday, April 10, 2023

DUTCH AMERICAN, PERPLEXED

Small pork and chive or pork and cabbage dumplings should, I have always believed, be eaten with hot sauce. Sadly, the place where I went to get them today was out of Sriracha. What is this world coming to? Woe! Whatt is this world coming to?
Never-the-less, lunch was excellent.


韭菜豬肉餃子,白菜豬肉餃子。


Perhaps eating dumplings with hot sauce is old-fashioned? Rather old-school, and SO last century? And maybe unbeknownst to me I am a dinosaur. But Cantonese chili oil is not hot at all, and while excellent in its own way, it does not hit the spot. In fails utterly in one regard.

My spot was not hit. The fabric of the universe feels wrinkled.
Without a dab of sambal, the universal fabric is flawed.
Did 駱駝祥子 eat dumplings without chili?
Indeed, I think not!


I crash through the cretaceous forest howling my despair, smaller reptiles scatter before me, and boughs snapped off by my passing fall to the earth. Humongous ferns are ripped with brute force from the loam by my mighty stomping.
Yeah, okay, that's a little exagerated. I'm not that dramatic.

And because the waiter scoured the restaurant searching for Sriracha, which they normally have, I tipped as generously as I normally do. Not his fault that successive families of Mexican or Dutch tourists drained their supply. Just sheer bad luck.


It's the first time that has happened.
I'm a little surprised.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am of the habit of dabbing sambal, Sriracha, atop wun tun soup. It is delicious, and necessary for a fulfilling, rich soup.

The back of the hill said...

An excellent habit.

Search This Blog

DID YOU WEAR YOUR SPECIAL HAT?

Nothing says 'Cinco De Mayo' like a taco bowl from the Trump Tower Grill! It's a fiesta in your digestive tract. And to zip it u...