Saturday, May 16, 2020

AMBULATORY, ANTI-SOCIAL

Yesterday during my walks I started counting the number of people who were not wearing masks, as well as their ethnicity. All the Cantonese and other Asians on the street were wearing masks. Most of the blacks and Latinos were wearing masks. All of the elderly of whatever background were wearing masks except for two of them. Almost none of the Caucasians in their twenties and thirties had masks on.

Because, of course, that's the techno-yuppie crowd, who think they own the world, and nothing bad can happen to them. Nor should it. It would be so unfair if it did.

Let us assume that all these selfish sons-of-bitches are infectious, as well as being inconsiderate entitled pricks.


Jost Rhodesian purchased from Marty Pulvers


Today, during a mid-morning walk to Walgreens to add money to my transit card (five blocks to and five blocks back, because at the nearer Walgreens the machine was out), I counted 132 people without masks covering their breathing holes. Mostly white twenty-somethings.

Plus three clusters of ten or more.

[Whenever I am in Chinatown, where I buy my groceries, EVERYBODY is wearing a mask. Because they don't want to infect the old people, or folks with pre-existing conditions, or the immuno-compromised. Polk Street can never be so thoughtful.]

In the interest of fairness and honesty, I should mention that I myself was not wearing a face mask either while out and about both days, because it is difficult to smoke a pipe while wearing a mask, and further, at some point in my life I too was in my twenties or thirties.

But I maintain social distance.

Six to ten feet.


Perhaps I need to start wearing eccentric clothes that suggest that my body odour might be over the top. In addition to indulging in tobacco.

Benton Billiard purchased from Grant's


Even so, I enjoyed my smokes. First bowl was a Virginia and Perique blend, as was the third. Second and fourth were GLP's Spark Plug, which is delicious. One of the pipes used was the Benton straight billiard pictured above. Benton is a brand that may be made in the U.S., but I cannot find out much about them. One source indicates that they're from Texas.

When Grant's on Market Street was still around, I purchased a number of Benton pipes, which all perform decently, and in the case of the one in the drawing, superlatively. I also have one of the same exact shape as the example which I've never smoked; saving it for I don't know what.


4

There are four key rules for participating in civilized society: proper capitalization, cleanliness, not spreading conspiracy theories, and wearing your goldarned face mask.

Significantly, Caucasian techno-yuppies seem to ignore all four.
Precisely like the protesters in all the dumb-ass states.

No wonder this country has gone to the dogs.

Four rules. It isn't hard.




TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

QUIET STEW

Figuring out where to have lunch some days is a bit problematic. Not today -- that's already mapped out -- but specifically Mondays and ...