Tuesday, January 14, 2020

HAVE PETS INSTEAD

By late afternoon the haze covered Mount Tam, and I decided to pull in the lawn furniture. Shortly after tea time the rain came. A soft wussy drizzle. If you stayed out in it for half an hour, you'd be drenched. And freezing.
Very English. Sweater and mildew weather.

And, remarkably, this morning it is sunny.

Almost springlike.



A fellow pipesmoker, thousands of miles away, managed to forget one of his children when driving to Essex. He blames his wife. No, I didn't read the entire screed, but the gist of it was that kids and mothers get in the way of a man quietly enjoying a pipe by himself while appreciating the landscape of the British Isles. An estuarine bog near Colchester or Tendring.
A point of view with which I can sympathize completely.
They can also get in the way of tea time.
Anything, really.


If you smoke around children nowadays, somebody will 'get triggered'. Before you know it, angry Berkeley or Marin Earthmothers will come thundering around a corner, thagomizer aloft, to screech fiercely and pound you into smithereens. Children, especially middle class children in Bay Area suburbs, are easily traumatized, fragile, and largely useless.

It isn't until their mid-teens that they start developing the tattoos and armour plating of their parents. As well as the nasty attitudes.

If left too long unattended, they bloat.



As you may gather, I myself don't have children. I've got my stuffed animals and solitary pursuits, and if I lived in a larger place, I'd probably have a cat.
A creature that would doze in the shafts of sunlight slanting in through the windows, eat a bit, and perhaps lick its butt.

Middle class children would be far more likeable if they did that too.

Wisely, the authorities in several places around the Bay Area have banned the sale of all flavoured tobacco products, because they attract children.
And nobody wants that.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...