Saturday, May 18, 2019

GOLD SLUDGE

One of the tobaccos I remember from my youth is as unremarkable in its new incarnation as it was then. And I still resent the waste of precious money. A perfectly horrid combination of pretentiousness and Burley.

It's an iconic product. Probably because of the slew of old codgers who smoked nothing else for half a century. Shaggy, perfumed, and insipid.


GOLD BLOCK
"The Aristocrat of Pipe Tobaccos" 

Formerly by Ogdens, now by MacBaren


Why?!?!

It's vile.

Hard to smoke slow, given the cut, and when smoked fast it burns the crap out of your tongue. Harsh and hot. The addition of air-cured leaf (Burley) to the decent basic Virginias does nothing, NOTHING! to improve it.
This bites extremely savagely and is fiercely mean.

But it does smell pleasant in the tin.


I am quite displeased.


Now that I think back, I remember that I didn't finish that tin purchased at Sigarenmagazijn Cuba on the Endhovensche Weg either. It might have been what soured me on that establishment, leading to the discovery of the shop at the junction of the Eindhovensche Weg and Klinker Straat.
Which was a good thing.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

BEFORE THE RAINS

Well, sleep was sheerly awful. Legs. My cardiologist tells me that there is a solution for that. Yet I hesitate, because I'm walking mor...