Thursday, November 23, 2023

FIRE CHICKEN DAY

One of them was going to try that new Toisaan place that opened up. Poujaifaan for dinner. Because he's bored with the stuff near where he lives; two chachantengs and a popular Canto place that isn't as good since they sold it. The other place is closed for a week.
Oh, and Henry passed away. Ninety three years old, in his sleep.

That last item saddened me, but I'm looking forward to a review of the poujaifaan with lap mei. Seeing as I likewise am sometimes bored with my regular places. And I note that it's been ages since I've had Baked Portuguese Chicken Rice (焗葡國雞飯 'guk pou gwok gai faan'). The two chachanteng where I used to have reasonable versions of it have not existed since before the pandemic, so I can't really blame stupid white people poncing around without masks, though I want to.

Baked Portuguese Chicken Rice is a very Hong Kong dish inspired somewhat by Maccanese cuisine. Chicken and potato chunks in mild coconut curry sauce on top of egg fried rice, with a sprinkle of cheese to melt under the broiler. Sometimes green bell pepper or mushroom is added. The worst versions have large onion pieces and flavourless chicken bits in miserable white sauce (白汁 'paak jap'), mostly cornstarch water not even a proper béchamel, wich must have roux, milk and cream, with a pinch of nutmeg, as you know.

By the way: some chachantengs elsewhere also have lasagna (千層麵 'chin chang min').
So I'm curious. The connection is with béchamel.
Today being Thanksgiving, I haven't a clue what I'm eating later. I was wondering about that during my walk with a pipe earlier. No turkey. Many of the possible places are closed, or will be crowded. And I'm not particularly social on holidays.

Besides, I don't want to advertise that I'm unattached single no family.
So familiar places are somewhat out of the question.
Maybe a bowl of congee around noon.
That's kind of discreet.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

BOO, KARAOKE!

After lighting up my pipe I ran into gangster uncle going into one of the mah jong parlours. Hadn't seen him in ages, and my first uncha...