Thursday, November 23, 2023

GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE

For my second pipe of the day, I had shut the apartment door behind me, then heard my downstairs neighbor leaving her place. When I heard the front door sneck, I padded down to the front hall only to see her on the steps, dressed up, probably waiting for her brother to pick her up. She's elderly Chinese Indonesian. Obviously he's elderly Chinese Indonesian.
I'm an anti-social middle-aged Dutch American on holidays.
I do not want to pleasantly chit or chat.
So I delayed myself.

That's also the reason I was brutal in my responses to Michael calling from Accident Claim Expediters when he blind-called me to try and weasel my bank account number and other data. "Sir, you have been in an accident in the last two years, we're here to ..... ". Be specific Michael, specific. WHEN did this happen? "Sir, we .... " SPECIFIC, Michael!
"Oh sir ..." No no, the specific time and place!
The turkey hung up.

It is not Thanksgiving in India.

Any accident I've been involved in didn't involve a car, because I don't possess a vehicle and nobody hit whatever convenyance I was in at any time. Honestly, it was probably green bean casserole, which is a disaster threatening us all, a fright to man and beast, if anything even remotely accidental happened. Which, Michael-ji, it didn't. Because I abjure casserole.
Green bean casserole is the American answer to Haggis. Actually, nine out of ten traditional Thanksgiving dishes are the American answer to Haggis. Most of them are not eaten under any circumstances during the rest of the year. You call this pie?
Good lord, you frightful pagans!

I'm probably going out for a comforting bowl of congee and a yautiu later.
I am grateful that I do not have to touch green bean casserole.
And that many accidents can be avoided.
Like conversation.


Enjoy your various haggis.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SOMETHING ABOUT TEETH

Half a year before the United States entered the war, my dad went to Canada and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. As he put it later, he ...