Sunday, January 01, 2023

THE RIGHT THING TO DO

My apartment mate, who is wiser than I am, spent all day loafing around in her jammies. But because I wished to smoke my pipe, and was peckish, I went down to Chinatown for cheung fan. Sadly, all the likely places were filled with lofans -- tourists from the cold and diseased parts of the country, horrible places like Mississippi, Arkansas, Connecticut, Hayward, and Point Richmond -- and I did not want to deal with that. So I had dumplings at a place eighty percent filled with non-tourists. Which I enjoyed immensely. Watching Cantonese women whirl about with plates and bowls frenetically while not snarling as I would have done under the same circumstances is always good for the soul. And pork and chive dumplings are altogether wonderful. Especially with hot sauce.

There are too many white and crazy people in Chinatown.
Almost none of them wearing masks.

Given that most of the world still continues to be dumbasses about Covid, refusing to mask up or take any sensible precautions even when they've actually acknowledged that it's real (or that vaccines work), it seems both grossly unfair and racist to demand tests results from Chinese arrivals. Can we, in the interest of decency, equitability, and sheer common sense, please demand that from all arrivals from red-state America and Europe?

After those lockdown riots in the Netherlands a while back, I would also recommend 'social distancing' of Dutch visitors, and unmasked Europeans in general.
Twenty to fifty meters.

I would like to require negative test results from everybody coming into California, especially other US citizens, no exceptions. Sadly, that isn't likely.
The dumplings were delicious. The pipe afterwards was splendid.

And because today presented a break in the rain, there was scant moisture in the air, and there were no cold breezes. It was in every way a perfect start to the new year.

Home for coffee and internet time-wasting before dark. Bought her cheddar and sour cream flavour potato chips on the way. She likes junk food, and had asked that I do so.
I like to think of myself as a considerate person.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...