Wednesday, March 17, 2021

CHINESE GIRLS

Some Chinese girls are delightful. Well, not so much girls as elderly ladies. Old women. Like the auntie who sometimes sneaks a surreptitious cigarette directly across from my building in the afternoon. She lives around the corner, and I suspect her kinfolk would be properly horrified if they "officially" knew she smoked. They probably do know, but she hides it from them, and they won't say anything. Mm, this sun is good. This ledge is good.
This Marlboro is EXCEPTIONALLY good.

The woman at the bakery who used to work at the dimsum place that closed a few years ago. She likes seeing me, I like seeing her. We exchange a bit of chit chat, but we don't know each other's names. The age difference is not nearly enough to call her "auntie" -- at least I don't think so -- and "elder sister" might be too familiar. Friend (朋友 'pang yau').
The place were she used to work was filled with old ladies.
Nice people. Good food.

And of course "auntie with the pistachio-hued hat". Who is out getting a morning walk early everyday. This time last year she would trudge down the block a few times, stopping halfway to turn around and head back up. She made considerable progress over these months, and now frequently passes when I'm at the bus stop on Van Ness. I believe she's now doing ten to twelve blocks every morning. She's very chipper.
This morning I was about the neighborhood having an early smoke. She was across the street, and we waved at each other. Sometimes I see her leave the building where she lives, other times she's on one of the side streets. I think she must be in her late seventies.

She walks better than I do. My arthritic knee and hip are a pain in the whatsis.
So I'm a bit jealous.


I suspect that all these old ladies have children and grandchildren who hate the smell of tobacco, and consider it a nasty filthy habit, like most Californians these days. Born here, educated in English, scant ability to speak Cantonese. But supportive of grandma getting out of the house and being active. As well as too intimidated (respectful) to reign her in.

It's probably both immensely liberating and very good for their well-being.
And at that age, who would object to the occasional smoke?

Some elderly Cantonese ladies have very nice smiles when they're happy.
Such as when they see someone they know and like.
There are a number of them here.



And so far, none of them have done that 'repulsed by the horrid odour hand wave' when I pass by with my pipe. This morning's bowlful was aged red Virginia with the merest whisps of Perique and fire cured Kentucky. Perfect for a brisk stroll on a sunny day.
A kind of old-school tobacco smell.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...