Saturday, November 04, 2017

FINDING OUT ABOUT THE ROOM

It wasn't until yesterday that I found out about the movie. Apparently I live in a bubble. It is staggeringly popular, and has been watched by millions, repeatedly, avid fans, packed screenings.

It is better than Last Year at Marienbad, about which Wikipedia says "the film is famous for its enigmatic narrative structure, in which truth and fiction are difficult to distinguish, and the temporal and spatial relationship of the events is open to question. Its dreamlike nature has both fascinated and baffled viewers; many have hailed the work as a masterpiece".

A few of my relatives certainly think it is.
Others wisely keep silent.

The Room, by Tommy Wiseau, is bigger and better than all of that. It is a full-blown emotional rollercoaster, a paean to life, and a certifiable extravaganza of eloquence and deeply felt existenzangst.
It is a sweetly romantic love story.
Above all, it's meaningful.
Tiefsinnig.

Quote from a commenter about the movie:

"To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand The room. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Tommy Wiseau's Clever wordplay most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Johnny's Optimistic Outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Oh Hi Mark literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike The Room -- wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humor in Tommy's existential catchphrase “ah ha ha ha,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Johnny's secret depression."

"Addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Tommy Wiseau's genius wit unfolds itself on their Movie screens."

[Marco Ingrassia, under Best of The Room (youtube)]


Full disclosure: Many years ago I made a stab at watching Last Year at Marienbad (L'Année Dernière à Marienbad), which after a mere ten minutes convinced me that it was too artistic for the common horde.
Good lord what a load of pretentious buggery twaddle!

It's not as good as a Peter Griffin fight scene.

I am the common horde.



If I can convince my apartment mate to rent the movie, I may see it. Or if someone drags me to a midnight showing. It sounds from several descriptions like a perfect date movie, by the way. In either direction.
A few years before I met my ex, I took a girl to see Bananas.
She didn't get it, and thought me right queer.
A most unsuitable man.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had a conversation about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use and ...