Monday, October 02, 2023

YOU PROBABLY DON'T WANT ME BACK, HUH?

You know I like a nice cup of Hong Kong Milk Tea, right? And, what with having been in the service industry myself, I cut restaurants an awful lot of slack. And I'm somewhat Apspergers too, so the chances of my noticing a deliberate slight are not very high, especially when I'm in a comfortable place. Never-the-less. There's a chachanteng I'm cutting the hell out of my regular routine for the time being. Several months. At least.

See, I'm kind of dense. The waitress asked what I wanted after taking the orders of more recent arrivals. My cup of milk tea was served last. The yautiu was brought to my table after several nearby tables were already eating. My congee didn't come till nearly twenty minutes after that. And I noticed that the doddering old bastard at the next table over got his bowl of jook in record time by comparison. He and his wife were fed, happy, paid up, and out of there in less than half the time. And when I asked for my check that took twenty minutes too.

Well goddammit, I guess being the only white guy in a Chinese restaurant means being treated like dirt sometimes, huh?

As I said, I'm kind of dense. So I paid it no mind till hours afterward, when I gradually realized that several tables that sat down after I had been seated for a while had gotten their food before I got mine. How bloody long does it take to dish up a bowl of congee?
I'm polite, clean, quiet, and no fuss.
I tip better than most customers.
And I speak Cantonese.


But I'm white, so I don't count for much.


Surely everybody knows that 我哋西洋鬼 are inconsequential, smell bad, and probably insensitive anyway. And we are too stupid to notice little things like shitty treatment. Heck, we deserve it! Especially when all the other customers are civilized people, "our" crowd, from the same home town, 同胞嘅, and must be made comfortable and happy!




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We noticed that at VIP, but as I commented to my companion, we don’t go there for the service but the drinks (she just loves their juices with the tapioca and as aforementioned, their HK milk tea/hot is the best I’ve had in Chinatown), and the food, though I was rather disappointed with the Chicken A La King.

The back of the hill said...

I also tried their chicken a la king. That bechamel sauce was quite repulsive.

The back of the hill said...

Note: The chachanteng in question is NOT the VIP. I still go there sometimes, but I try to avoid it when they're too busy.

Search This Blog

BOO, KARAOKE!

After lighting up my pipe I ran into gangster uncle going into one of the mah jong parlours. Hadn't seen him in ages, and my first uncha...