Wednesday, October 04, 2023

WHAT GIVES YOU WINGS

My friend, who is younger than me, at one point likened us to Statler and Waldorf, the crusty old geezers from the Muppet Show who always had something pungent to say about the last act. This was at the karaoke bar. Where the best songs were when the automatic rotation brought up soulful Mandarin stuff with violins in a grand event venue on the tip of Kowloon. Which none of the white people sang along too, for some strange reason and thank heavens for that.

In retrospect I should have pointed out that a comparison with Kermit the Frog and Fozzy Bear would have been more appropriate. Or more flattering. Shan't mention who would be Fozzy, who Kermit.

I should also mention that at a previous stop he had alerted me to darling little sailors. Of the female persuasion. Charming young ladies radiating a no nonsense if you please attitude, absolutely the sweetest things. Because of Fleet Week, the military is in town. At one point there was a scene outside that bar that absolutely represented diversity and inclusionariness in the modern armed forces, and all of them, male and female, were very well behaved. Quite adorable in their clean crisp youthful disciplined innocence, happy to be here.

I hope I don't sound like a cynical old man at this point.
See, I've still got my youthful fuzz myself!
And I'm still quite springy!
SPOFFORD ALLEY DURING THE DAY

My evening started, of course, at Spofford, where I lit my pipe and strolled past the garbage heaped at the front of the alley. Sadly, no rats to be seen. I miss the threat of bubonic plague. A friend lives above that alley, and would probably be glad that there were no rodents tonight. Now if only the old farts playing mahjong would not snarf take-out food while enjoying themselves! So messy, and the discarded containers attract vermin!

[It's worth noting that he himself is well past seventy. So not a spring chicken.]


Naturally I sympathise, but I've always liked small creatures that show such cunning and determination. Our simplicidental fellow Americans! Champions among the gliriforms.


My friend is now safely in his bed, I presume, playing Fantasy Baseball. I've come home high as a kite on caffeine, seeing as I avoid alcohol. Coffee before I left. Caffeinated soft drink at one place. Tea (double bagger) at another, more tea at our final stop of the evening.
I am, in fact, wired to the tits.

I could really go for some greasy take-out food right now.
Salt and pepper chicken wings, for instance.

Where do those old geezers get it at this hour?
Not very many places are open late.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

HE AND SHE

When a bear raids your storage locker, he (or she) is probably looking for bacon and cheesy poofs. It stands to reason. As a smart animal, a...