Sunday, October 29, 2023

THE REVISITANT

Sometime during this week I shall revisit my profligate youth, with a pipe tobacco blended by Jeremy Reeves at Cornell & Diehl, who is a both a genius and a very evil man. My younger years were some of the very worst years of my life, given everything that happened and the circumstances of that time. But the light was good. And there were some lovely blends available at that time. So it wasn't all bad.

Of course, I wasn't even half way through all my reading yet, so I was a young ignoramus. And I think I have become a nicer, better person since then. There is a lot to be said for maturity, even if it is just wear and tear rounding the rough corners.

Jeremy Reeves took the name of the blend, a limited release, from a short story written by H. P. Lovecraft. Not my favourite author by a mighty long shot. He appeals to teenage boys who will probably turn into incels or sour college drop-outs living in their mom's basement with a collection of mummified rodents.

Most of those freaks are not pipe smokers.

It's some damned fine tobacco, though.
When my father went on a trip to London with his girlfriend, he left me in charge of our house in Valkenswaard, with a generous purse for expenses, and just three instructions.
1. Make sure the house is still standing when I get back.
2. Make sure there is plenty of coffee.
3. Make sure there is toilet paper.

Okay. Can do. Some of that generous purse went for several tins of Balkan Sobranie. I had a fine time. I borrowed his pipes during the interim, one of which was the snazzy item above.
I'll be puffing it this week.

Another one for the week is shown below. I bought it in the second year that I was back in the States. My first very own high quality briar.

Cornell & Diehl
From Beyond

Cyprian Latakia, North Carolina Red Virginia (2017), Bright Canadian Virginia (2017), Turkish Izmir (2018), Greek Basma(2019) and Louisiana Perique.


Allegedly there is also dark Burley as a minor condimental there, but I have no idea where that rumour came from. I cannot taste it.


It's a lovely evocative mixture, with a tin-note that reminds me of many things. A good smoke, balanced, quite Balkanish, goes well with cups of tea. Had it at work a few times these past three days, I suspect it will go well with some reading, as well as wandering deserted alleyways downtown now that Autumn is upon us.

If you smell something sooty, that's me.


I'll probably also be enjoying a Virginia mixture while out and about, because that's what is in my pouch, and I remember some lovely times a few years back in Autumn downtown with that kind of tobacco, when it was not too cold outside, and not yet raining.
Also a few nice meals at a restaurant that no longer exists.
The shopfront has been vacant for years.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SOMETHING ABOUT TEETH

Half a year before the United States entered the war, my dad went to Canada and joined the Royal Canadian Air Force. As he put it later, he ...