Tuesday, October 03, 2023

LIKE GRANDMA USED TO MAKE

Over on a site dedicated to Canto food, one member fondly recalled steamed pork patty with salt fish, and regretfully mentioned that he didn't know how to make it. It's actually really easy to do. And simple.

鹹魚蒸豬肉
HAAM YU JING YIUK BENG

Half pound ground pork.
One Tsp cornstarch.
One Tsp soy sauce.
One Tsp sherry or rice wine.
One Tsp cooking oil.
A little ginger, minced fine.
Pinch of ground white pepper.
Pinch of sugar.

A few thin slices of salt fish (咸魚 'haahm yü'), soaked to soften.

Mix everything except the salt fish and ginger, let it sit for thirty minutes. Then flatten it onto an oiled plate, arrange the salt fish on top, and add the ginger. Steam until done, about ten minutes or so.
When I first posted the pretty picture above on my Facebook page and clarified what it was, one friend reacted with "eloquent" distaste. That was a few years ago. She has yet to try it. Some people have limits to what they will or will not eat. So I shan't be surprised at all to hear that my more non-chopstickable food friends won't touch it either.
Sad, yes. Surprised, no.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

BOO, KARAOKE!

After lighting up my pipe I ran into gangster uncle going into one of the mah jong parlours. Hadn't seen him in ages, and my first uncha...