Friday, December 20, 2019

SMOKING PIPE PICTURE ALBUM

Some pipe shapes speak to me. Briar pipes are almost a thing of the past, but among my fondest memories are the smells of pipe tobacco -- my father liked a blend from a tobacconist in Southern California which no longer exists, but in retrospect it was an American style product with only a little condimental leaf (Latakia and Perique) on a base of mostly Virginias, with I'm sure a touch of burley -- and appreciating the aesthetics of specific shapes in high quality briar. Before he passed he gifted me his old pipes.
Canadians, bulldogs, and Lovats. Plus a Peterson System Standard.
My own collection welcomed them gladly.
They mean much to me.


I seldom smoke them out of the house, which is problematic, because the person with whom I share this apartment is a non-smoker whom I would like to keep. So there are only two or three days a week during which I can enjoy my dad's pipes. Though not all of them, some still have his smell.
And I cherish that.


On cold days I do not enjoy being outside. Any one would rather be indoors looking out over the soggy street or hearing the rain against the window panes, with a warm beverage and a book, than outdoors in that weather. But there are few places left where smoking is tolerated, and an adult does not appreciate the company of cigar-huffing sportsfans.





There's something infinitely comforting about the smell of an old-fashioned tobacco that cannot be replaced. Among the products I either still smoke, or remember fondly though they have changed or might no longer be available, are Balkan Sobranie Original Mixture, Capstan regular, Orlik Golden Slices, Dunhill Dark Flake, Orlik Scotch Type.





Several newer tobacco mixtures have acquired a place; Cornell & Diehl products or Greg Pease. I am particularly fond of Stonehenge Flake.


Allegedly this is a Lakeland, but I cannot discern a topping. Of course I also like many of the Samuel Gawith products, as well as a few fine smokeables from Germains and Esoterica Tobacciana.

I'm not particularly fond of Penzance or Stonehaven. Honestly, I cannot see what all the fuss is about. They're good, though.


Flavoured pipe tobaccos are for children.


Pipe smoking did not used to be so solitary a vice, but the world has changed, and become a pissier kind of place.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optemistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...