Wednesday, March 27, 2019

A SHARP STINGING SENSATION

Spent from one thirty till six thirty today in Chinatown, in or in the vicinity of the Chinese Hospital. This in connection with health. Now that we've dealt with the major problem, let's see if anything else needs work. Poke poke poke, prod prod prod. Blood pressure still a little bit too high, blood drawn for testing -- various things, but also to see if I'm human -- pee in a cup, and scheduling screening for whatever else. In consequence of all of which there are three more holes in my dermis, there was another serious talk about the evils of smoking, and I've only had two half bowls of tobacco all day. So in a few minutes I shall be heading outside for a pipefull.


Lunch was a variation on phở (越南河粉), with seafood, pork, and pork liver. Very delicious. Turns out that lifting rice noodles from the hot broth with chopsticks is damned difficult; at home I usually break 'em up and stirfry/braise whatever the dish is that they go into.

Little Paris on Stockton has changed. They have a new menu and newish decor, and other than one of the ladies who had been there before (who still knew me), new people. The lady from the past seems to be in charge now.
I really want them to succeed. I'll definitely go there more often.
They are a fond haunt from my misspent youth.
Which isn't that long ago.

They are also right around the corner from the Chinese Hospital, and seeing as I had eaten nothing since the previous night (fasting before blood work), and had not had my morning coffee, you can imagine how well a glass of ice coffee (咖啡𥒥 cà phê đá) and the noodle soup hit the spot.


Went back to the hospital afterwards to pick up refills in the pharmacy, and one new medicine. Lit up my pipe as soon as I was out of sight.

One of these days I'm going to run into one of the people there I have dealt with when I have a pipe in my mouth and am wired to the eyebrows on milk tea or Vietnamese coffee, and look all sinful and self-indulgent, with smoke coming out of my face. I'm sure they fear the same embarrassing likelihood.
Good heavens, miss Wong, I didn't know you smoked!
I won't say anything if you don't.


My pipe tobacco, my medication, and my hospital all have substantially the same warning on the outside: "...contains chemicals known to the State of California that may cause birth defects or reproductive harm".

Which should also be on bacon-cheeseburgers.
To be perfectly fair and honest.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE MACHINE LIVES

Surely everyone is pleasantly surprised that the SF Police have identified one of the people who torched a driverless taxi vehicle (Waymo) b...