Tuesday, October 24, 2017

THE MAGIC OF BRUSSELS SPROUTS

After a brief nap yesterday evening, I went next door to brush my teeth and prepare for bed. As you may know, our bathroom is in the process of being revamped -- same apartment for several years, and old when we moved in, so a completely new set-up is a little overdue -- and my apartment mate and I have been given the use of the facilities in the empty unit right next door. The original tenant is long gone, the last person in residence there moved to Canada a few months ago, it is entirely vacant, quiet, peaceful, and a little bit more modern than our place.

Shave and shower. Solitary refinement.

While there I heard some neighbors on that airwell going at it. This was not something I intended to hear, but they are young and vibrant (judging by the sounds), and probably conceived themselves to be alone. In San Francisco one is never truly alone, but I did not make a sound, as I did not want them to freeze up. It would have been an imaginary embarrassment, as none of us have ever seen each other in the flesh.

I wonder if my apartment mate has ever heard them.
Her room is a little closer to them than mine.

No, I am not going to ask. We never speak of sex.
We are not connected in that way.
She has someone.


Though I am familiar with the process, it has not been an element in my life for quite a while. Most people who are past their thirties and single do not actually "get any", despite their juiciness, and men of my age don't bring up the subject even in boasting. Though we do boast!

"I cooked a fabulous steak", they will say, "and the Cavolini Di Bruxelles came out perfect! My, my, my! You wouldn't believe!"
This is as close as we get to puffing ourselves up over accomplishment.
Often the absence of another person is "hinted" at.
"Yes, I ate ALL of it!"


What I found on the internet while checking to see if the term "Cavolini Di Bruxelles" was spelled correctly is sufficiently interesting that I post it here.


Cavolini di Bruxelles rosolati

Pulite i cavolini di Bruxelles e incideteli a croce. Pulite la cipolla e tagliatela a pezzi piccoli.
[Clean the Brussels sprouts and crochet them. Clean the onion and cut it into small pieces.]

Lessate i cavolini in acqua salata in modo che siano cotti ma non sfatti: devono rimanere integri. Scolateli su un telo da cucina.
[Boil the spinach in salted water so that they are cooked but do not bake: they must remain intact. Drain them on a kitchen towel.]

Tagliate il guanciale a pezzi piccoli. Prendere una padella, aggiungetevi un po' d'olio e fatevi rosolare il guanciale con la cipolla.
[Cut the small piece of the pillow. Take a frying pan, add a little oil and brown the pillow with the onion.]

Dopo una paio di minuti, aggiungetevi i cavolini di Bruxelles, regolate di sale e pepe e mescolate. Lasciate a cuocere per circa 5 minuti.
[After a couple of minutes, add Brussels sprouts, salt and pepper and mix. Let it cook for about 5 minutes.]

Trasferite il tutto su un piatto da portata caldo e servite subito in tavola.
[Transfer it all over to a hot pot and serve immediately on the table.]

Source: http://www.buonissimo.org/lericette/4108_Cavolini_di_Bruxelles_rosolati.


I suspect that these neighbors are fairly young by my standards.
And possibly they sometimes eat steak and caviolini.
In between bouts of animal passion.


It's not that people over forty don't want sex, it's just that steak and Cavolini Di Bruxelles are within the realm of possibilities, and do not require drunkenness, the clubscene, marijuana, or hours of talking.
All in all, a far more rewarding experience.
Even if one is alone.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...