Tuesday, December 13, 2011

FELINE GRACE

The cat did NOT want me to move, she made that clear. Dogs communicate by sniffing rear-ends, cats use their claws. The cat was far too comfortable to even consider shifting. After she fell asleep I could have carefully and surreptitiously left the couch, but I did not want to disturb the warm vibrating furball in the crook of my arm.
A gracious animal, she often brought me mice. Not wanting to hurt her feelings I always showed keen and enthusiastic appreciation, quite unlike the other humans in the house.

It's the thought that counts, after all, and as felines go, she was a remarkably generous creature.
Very giving. A loving personality.


Earlier that day I had spent a while visiting an old friend at the retirement home. She also had a cat, although that particular feline did not like me so much. Cats are very territorial, and sweet little old ladies are always THEIR territory. One does not argue with a creature that expresses itself with claws. Consequently, throughout our long conversation, I was aware of baleful eyes glaring at me from the top of the cabinet. A large black daemon with a ferocious attitude is hard to ignore.
I wondered whether the next time I should bring a sardine for the beast.
Bribing it might work.

Once home, our cat welcomed me back. I desperately wanted to load up my pipe, but the cat demanded my attention. Without quite realizing how it happened, I ended up on the couch stroking her.
A very manipulative individual, that cat.

For the next two hours I remained on the couch, staring at my pipe and tobacco on the table, while the cat contentedly dozed. So much to do, so little time.
Why am I allowing this furball to keep me here?
But she's such a commanding presence!
Even if fast asleep.
Purr.

That evening, at dinner, the cat jumped on my lap with a nearly dead mouse.
I didn't say anything to the others as I didn't want to appall them.
As she smacked the rodent I petted her with my free hand.
Desperate to keep anyone else from noticing.
Head down, sweetheart, keep still.
Please, no crunching!

Afterwards I buried the deceased mouse under the red currant bushes. There was already an extensive cemetery there. Hundreds of little gifts for humans.
Courtesy of a very nice cat.


She left us in 1976.
Perhaps she found a loving tom and followed him home.
And lived to a ripe old age, surrounded by kittens and lots of dead mice.


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

1 comment:

Tzipporah said...

Now that you mention it, a cat does seem to fit the bill for your companion needs...

Ravenous, sociable but independent, available for cuddles and choosy about her friends.

Search This Blog

QUIET STEW

Figuring out where to have lunch some days is a bit problematic. Not today -- that's already mapped out -- but specifically Mondays and ...