Friday, July 14, 2023

JUST SNEAK IT IN

Seeing as today is Bastille Day, I suppose I should have French Fries for breakfast. And fortuitously, there's a McDonalds on the way to work. So I could. It would totally be the French-loving thing to do. Or perhaps a croissant at Starbucks. Yay, Bastille Day!

Actually, I don't eat breakfast. Or McDonalds.
And I won't set foot in a Starbucks.

So bugger all that.

Congratulations, France, on surviving the onslaught of tacky American tourists in the post-war years. Your food is pretty good. Both La Marseillaise and Le Chant Du Départ are splendid songs. Have a nice parade today.

Sadly, I will not be having any French food today. Even though it would go great with sambal.
I'll just imagine a nice stew, Boeuf Bourguignonne, perhaps, with some rice or potatoes, and naturally chili paste.

I've got the key ingredient for the latter.
So in one way, my larder is well-stocked.

It probably won't surprise you to know that French cuisine does not use chili paste, sambal of any kind, nor any hot sauce. There is no mention of it at all in the Maigret novels, despite the inspector being enthusiastic about food. Fortunately, a small jar of habaneros mashed with salt and vinegar does not take up much space in one's luggage, and can easily be smuggled into most eateries. It's absolutely essential in England, but nice to have in France.

If you're going to have fries, it's great with fries.
Not so good with croissants.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ALGORYTHM IS WRONG

For some reason Microsoft Start wants me to read about Columbia. Which I have absolutely no intention of doing. Not planning to go there, ev...