Tuesday, March 14, 2023

ALL THINGS GOLDEN

It was an emotional moment. "For all the little boys and girls watching tonight ... a beacon of hope and possibilities -- dreams do come true." Well okay. A certain Dutch American Cantonese speaker in San Francisco was also quite chuffed, despite his super brilliant cousin's kid not winning bupkes this year (won previously). Largely because I grew up on Hong Kong movies, having watched several of them every week from my early-twenties till my mid-thirties. And it's about time that the sheer bucket of talent, creativity, and acting excellence in that world finds some acknowledgement.

Of course, there's always a linguistic barrier. Several excellent actors and actresses do not speak fluent English. It rather handicaps an attempt at breaking through.
And unlike, say, Rutger Hauer, they can't fake it.


So seeing someone whose Canto language movies I've watched, all of them, multiple times, win a well-deserved Oscar, felt like a personal victory. As it did for my apartment mate, who is of Cantonese heritage, and probably a bucket load of Chinatown people as well.
楊紫瓊
'yeung ji king'
Michelle Yeoh

This was probably the best Academy Awards event of which I've been aware, though the times when my brilliant cousin's kid's movies won were pretty good too.


Of course, Jamie Lee Curtis should also have won several years ago. Her stellar performance in A Fish Called Wanda is timeless and classic.


Congratulations to both of them.
Heartfelt.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...