Thursday, March 09, 2023

SPEAKS NICELY

This morning was all about organs. Returning to C'town after visiting the cardiologist, I went to a restaurant and had a bowl of pork liver and pork kidney congee (豬肝豬腰粥 'chyu gon chyu yiu juk') and a yautiu. As one would do. It being early enough. Because I had been nearly an hour early, I was out of the doctor's office just when I was supposed to be in.
I am a firm believer in showing up early for appointments.
Especially for medically related matters.


The primary reason is that it's a politeness and shows that I'm taking it seriously, as I should, but secondly it creates the entirely mistaken impression that I am not an asshole.
Which I actually am.


This left the entire day ahead of me.


By the way: three times today someone asked me if I was Chinese. Apparently my speech is that good that despite my big beaky nose, ghostly grey eyes, and distinctly glow in the dark Caucasian features, audibly I pass. Happens on the phone too, but there the visuals don't confuse the issue. Yeah, um. Quite pleased. And thank you.

We Dutch are rather good with languages.
In the words of Dave Sedaris, "me talk pretty".

By the time I finished eating the restaurant was nearly filled up. I'm very glad to see the place thrive, as the past three years have been rather problematic for Chinatown, and I rely on the neighborhood for fresh veggies and seafood, pastries and milk tea, and my sanity in a cold harsh world filled with dingoes, Qanonites, and Karens who are high on their entitlement.

I also rely on them for my organs.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...