Saturday, May 05, 2018

YOUR EXCITATORY POST SYNAPTIC POTENTIAL

One of these years I may go there. It's something I've always thought of doing, but never budgeted or made time for, and in all honesty the idea of being surrounded by a mob of hairy smokers having a frenzied dance-off, as one imagines it to be, is not that high on my list of priorities. Still, several people whom I know are at the Chicago Pipe Show this weekend.
Some of them are women. Probably not hairy.
But I don't know.

No, I shall not dwell on their hair.
I'm sure its quite lovely.
And not excessive.

We'll probably hear all about it at the next meeting of the pipe club. Until, of course, the conversations dither off into left field and all over the place. As is to be expected when a dozen unique individuals of a certain level of boyishness congregate with stimulants and snacky substances.

I've told Mary to look out for Mike, who will likely also be there. 'Look out' as in keep your eye peeled for him, not be warily on guard. There's an age difference of five decades between them. He smokes mostly dark sooty stuff, she still has an affection for candy leaves.


Years ago I attended MacWorld several times. Not entirely voluntarily, as the company that employed me had a presence there. That persuaded me that being in a large gathering of excited people with whom I have very little in common other than one key thing is not something I need.
It will not make my life complete, nor cap a career.

Even if they are smoking pipes.
And fine tobacco.


QUOTE:
"Death rates for current pipe smokers were little if at all higher than non-smokers, even with men smoking 10 or more pipefuls per day and with men who had smoked pipes for more than 30 years."

[SOURCE: Surgeon Generals Report, 1964. Page 112.]


One interesting recent finding is that nicotine improves motor skills and memory, increases cognitive abilities, and protects against dementia. Nicotine is similar to acetylcholine, and some research has shown that nicotine helps ward off Parkinsons and Alzheimers.
Suggest it to your potsmoking buddies.
It may help them.



FRAGRANT FULL-BODIED TOBACCO


Most of the pipe smokers I know are insanely vibrant. And the same holds true for the cigar smokers, although in their case we're talking about two thirds right-wing dingbats, which may be due to congenital idiocy and parental syphilis. More research is required.
And perhaps anal probing.
Tzarich iyun.


Because my apartment mate is presently much bothered by nasal distress (allergies), she has made me promise to smoke only outside the apartment. Which is somewhat problematic, as it is buggery cold in SF, especially after night fall. But on my days off, when it doesn't warm up till late morning, as soon as she leaves I redefine "outside" as between a closed door and an open window. My right leg does not benefit from "outside" outside.
There is also torpor to consider.
I am a reptile.


RECENT CIGARS


Over the past few months I have huffed various stogies, some of which were memorable. And some not.

A selection highlighted at random, based on discarded cigar bands in a bathrobe pocket:

VILLIGER 1888
Not bad.

LEAF, by OSCAR - CONNECTICUT
Exceptional. Even burning, with a medium full flavour. Not too spicy, creamy finish. Good reason to spend an hour and a half in the bathroom.

NICA RUSTICA
Good. Not exceptional, but a fine smoke. Needed occasional touch-up with a flame. There have been several of these, various vitolas.
Fun smokes.

ROMEO Y JULIETA - RESERVA REAL
It was too tightly rolled. But after using a grilling skewer, it was enjoyable. The last three inches were smoked outside a local gym.
A friend smokes these all the time.

LA FLOR DOMINICANA RESERVA ESPECIAL
This is a damned good smoke.

LA PALINA
A good smoke.

LA AROMA DE CUBA - MI AMOR
Exceptional. These are a good value.

ARTURO FUENTE
I really wish I could remember what the shape and blend were.
It was very good, but I usually prefer Nicaraguans.

MY FATHER - SPECIAL EDITION
Very good. And a  solid smoke.
I always enjoy My Fathers.
It's a fine company.

POR LARRAÑAGA
Ya man. Excellent.

GURKHA - HAVANA BLEND
Meh. All right, I suppose.

LA AURORA ECUADOR
Holy smokes! Very very nice.

LA AURORA CAMEROON
An old-fashioned and extremely enjoyable experience.

A. FLORES SERIE PRIVADA
Nice. Worth buying.

NAT SHERMAN
A good cigar, even burning, with a broad satisfying spectrum of flavour, but I do not remember anything else about it.
There have been other Nat Shermans in the last six months. Not a truly exceptional brand, but they're are all rather good smokes.

PADRON 1926
That was a truly wonderful morning.

OLIVA SERIE 'V'
The perfect perfecto.
Delightful.

AVO SYNCRO
Decent. Decent. Decent.

CAMACHO COROJO
Certifiably a cigar.

CAMACHO CONNECTICUT
Okay.

ROOM 101
Fun smoke.

GURKHA - ESTATE SELECTION
Not memorable.

ALEC BRADLEY NICA PURO ROSADO
A very fine cigar indeed.

DIAMOND CROWN MAXIMUS
A exceptionally lovely cigar.


On the whole, most of these were robustos, my favourite shape, with a few toros, some smaller vitolas, and one lonsdale. The latter is a waste of time.
There were very few maduro wrappers, which was rather a pity.
The La Gloria Cubana Wavell Maduro is a favourite.
I've mentioned it elsewhere.

Most of the day I smoke a pipe.



As an afterthought, Mary's hair is fine. And I'm sure her husband enjoys smelling the traces of Perique and flue-cured leaf, even the occasional cherries jubilee. Cult Blood Red Moon. Fruit Extra Vaganza.
She's recently acquired an awesome blowfish.
I think that's what that's called.
Some pipe.



TOBACCO INDEX


==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...