Sunday, February 14, 2021

THE NECESSARY

It's like nougat, only lighter and airier. No, I have no idea what it might be called in English. The label reads 雪の酥 (possibly yuki no so; snow flakinesses), and it's a type of chewy easy-eating candy with an interesting texture. Three varieties: mango, peach, and dried cranberry-yoghurt. If I brought them to work I'd probably end up big as a house. Same reason I don't bring cayenne cheese poufs to work.

During the middle of the day, between pipe two and pipe three, I easily go for flavour overload. The taste buds are tingling, I'm high as a kite on coffee and tea, and likely to make impulsive mouth decisions. Sorry Milton, no cake for you, I ate it all.

Given that I don't eat breakfast, and have lunch late in the day, three pipes between wake-up coffee and first food is not hard. Especially when there no donuts or cookies lying around.

Two cups of strong coffee, then three cups of tea. That is the way, pilgrim.
It's like leaving the knife in the box with the king cake.
So that it's easy to have another piece.


One of the eternal mysteries of the Orient is why the grocery stores I go to in Chinatown have such a scrumptious selection of Japanese snacky things. Are they ALL like that? Or do I only patronize the ones that are? A happy accident?


Meltyblend strawberry chocolates. So deep. So profound! I'm sure wise men and philosophers all over East Asia are contemplatively getting fat on these.

[How about honey loquat candy'? Soothing and refreshing!]

The snacky things, along with chu hou paste (柱侯醬), hot bean sauce (辣豆瓣醬), and other supplies I regularly purchase in C'town, are making the pandemic a lot more bearable.
Plus of course 是拉差香甜辣椒醬。 It's essential.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...