Thursday, September 26, 2019

A TROPICAL MALAISE

As a mature individual of crusty habits, I darn well hate this weather we're having. It is warm and summery. On the other hand, the hour I spent down at the hospital talking to my doctor was lovely. Air-conditioning. And there were interesting facts about Alpha and Calcium channel blockers, and my recent medical tests. Plus Indonesian food. He's Chinese from Indonesia.
I am a Dutch American whose cooking is Chinese and Indonesian influenced. Strongly.

On the third hand, I found out that little Miss Mak, the petite nurse from Toishan, also hates needles. She had to give me two new injections.
I pointed out that she was on the right end of the hypodermic.
She's very good with needles.


Lunch afterwards was delicious, and never-the-less sucked eggs bigtime. That chachanteng faces West, and by late afternoon had absorbed so much heat that it might have been the Devil's anteroom.

Fried grouper with curry and rice (咖喱石班飯 'gaa lei sek paan faan').
Plus Srirach chili sauce. In a spacious dining room with wilting people.

The heat. The heat. The heat. The heat. The heat.


Smoked two bowls of tobacco. One pipe is an old Stanwell, the other a no-name. Both are good briar, and refurbishing them was cinch. My doctor, of course, tells me I shouldn't smoke. I'm sorry, I'm a Dutchman; smoking is part of my intangible cultural heritage! Besides, it is the only reason I don't sit on my ass all day and become a vegetable. It's how I get my exercise.
I would have gotten more yesterday if it hadn't been so beastly hot.

Two cups of coffee in the morning. A cup of Hong Kong Milk Tea with lunch, and a regular tea. Two yuen yeung over ice after the first smoke. When I got home I stripped to my colourful and stylish boxer shorts.

Caught sight of myself in the hallway mirror.
I'm much thinner than I thought.

Wired, and wiry.
Wilting.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optimistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...