Tuesday, July 30, 2019

OF DUTCHMEN, OLD CHINESE LADIES, AND BETEL NUT

The sparrow-like old Cantonese lady beckoned me over, her table had space, and everywhere else was occupied. And when I call her "sparrow-like", that's meant in a good way. Spry, active, full of vim. She likes people, and adds a civilized friendly air to the place. She's one of my favourite folks at that bakery, and has a sense of humour. No, I do not know her name. Names get revealed very gradually, in passing. I still refer to one of the regulars as 'Burmese Uncle', because he's older than me, and though of impeccable Toishanese antecedents, he lived many years in Burma.

There's also 'Luzon Auntie'.

Earlier I had picked up my medicines from the Chinese Hospital Pharmacy, got a haircut, done some errands, and bought essential supplies. Couldn't find sambal badjak, settled on sambal udang instead; shrimps fried with chili paste till nice and stiff. With a layer of congealed palm oil on top.

Also acquired a box of tea. Rickshaw brand black tea bags (車仔紅茶包 'che jai hung chaa baau').


"The Rickshaw Black Tea is a refreshing and strong aromatic cup of tea which is ideal for your hectic lifestyle, as it clears and calms your mind leaving you feeling composed."


Cleared mind? And composure? That sounds right on target. I can definitely use mind clearance and composing, as the past few weeks have indeed been hectic, lifestyle-wise, oh boy!

Normally, my lifestyle does NOT include fighting sepsis for four days in the hospital. And it's good that I only had one appendix, which I am glad to be rid of, instead of a whole cluster of the things, like a bunch of grapes.


闌尾
['laan mei']

Anatomically, the appendix is the "orchid tail". And also totally useless. Sometimes the infected little bugger needs to be removed. Urgently. It's an evolutionary mistake. If inflamed and untreated it may kill you. But as you can probably tell from this essay, I am still very much alive. That's courtesy of Chinese Hospital, which is staffed by intelligent patient people with a high tolerance for crusty Dutch American men. Sofar, they've saved my insignificant life twice.

So, still kicking, despite all my bad habits. Such as smoking (aged Virginia, three pipes today!), often indulging in high-cholesterol snackies (高膽固醇嘅零食 'gou daam gu seun ge ling sik'), not getting nearly enough exercise, sambal made with palm oil (棕櫚油 'jung leui yau'), and other vices.

Like drinking tea instead of water throughout the day.
Water is the tofu of beverages.


Having a refreshing and strong cup of tea right now.


If I were still the man I was, I would also have a chilled shot of Genever, it being precisely the overlap of teatime and the cocktail hour, but I abstain from alcohol because of my medication.

The Sparrow Lady, a friend of hers, and I discussed betelnuts (檳榔 'pan long'), which are a bad habit that I never acquired, but incredibly common in South East Asia. I bet my doctor is glad I didn't; some of his Mandarin-speaking patients probably did. Taiwanese.

No idea how the subject came up. Something in relation to Mao Zedong, studying dictionaries, and the Dunhill store that used to be on the corner of Stockton and Post, Union Square, nearly thirty years ago. The precise train of thought left the station while I was still on the platform.

Is my mind clear and calm?
You can bet it is.
Refreshed.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

QUIET STEW

Figuring out where to have lunch some days is a bit problematic. Not today -- that's already mapped out -- but specifically Mondays and ...