Thursday, July 25, 2019

TEATIME FOR CODGERS

First time back in Chinatown after a week. The last time I was there, I was stumbling out of the Chinese Hospital (東華醫院 'tung waa yi yuen') after five days of having an appendix removed and medical staff attending to me, this time was to stumble in for a follow-up appointment. Let's just say that I was glad to be back, over the past seven months it has become a familiar and comforting place.

[Back in January I first stumbled in, with blood pressure around two hundred, and a few other things wrong. I'm much better now, but I wasn't planning on severe appendicitis, peritonitis, sepsis. That has bollicksed things a bit. Can't smoke my pipe for another few weeks. Have to take it easy. No soccer, heavy lifting, or screaming angrily at rightwing idiots.]

As I mentioned to one of the lab staff when making an appointment for sometime in September, I figured that if any one had experience dealing with stubborn old codgers from somewhere else, they would.


And while some of the Mandarin-speakers there are a little afzijdig, even afstandelijk, the Cantonese speakers are all extremely nice people with whom it is easy to converse.

Well, the Mandarin-speakers too. But seeing as we only have English as a mutual tongue, that makes them a little foreign.

An exception being my regular care physician. Because he's Chinese from Indonesia, there is much that we have in common.


What I probably do not need is a helpful pamphlet entitled 糖尿病護理 ('tong niu peng wu lei'; "diabetes care"). It is a very handsome and nice looking multi-page explicatory publication, and would in many ways be fascinating, but as I can look all that stuff up on the internet with no help, it would be quite wasted on me. Save it for them as really needs it.
Sugar pee illness protection management.
No sugar pee illness yet.



Due to a whole number of factors, sugar pee illness is a issue among almost all minorities in this country, and particularly among the elderly.
Humankind is an animal that snacks, largely on stuff it should avoid.

I wonder if toast with Sriracha qualifies as an unhealthy snack, or is sufficiently "nutritious" that it's considered food.
I'm voting for the latter.

In any case, it's what's for tea today.
My mother would not approve.
Dad likely might.



I deserve praise for omitting the anchovy paste.
In lieu of "Gentleman's Relish".




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...