Thursday, July 04, 2019

A TEA PARTY MISSING SEVERAL THINGS

It struck me earlier today that in Bill Watterson's ever-popular comic strip Calvin And Hobbes, Susie Derkins is the real hero of every episode in which she appears. And that Calvin likes to get her attention.
He's just lousy at expressing that.

For obvious reasons, I tend to identify with the boy, or his tiger, or his dad.
But I could have identified with Susie. A character capable of clobbering back or exacting retribution for the crap to which Calvin subjects her.

But otherwise a calm and equitable sort. With praiseworthy personal habits.

How can you not admire a girl whose stuffed bunny rabbit likes tea?


One imagines him having a preference for Assam or Keemun, rather than snooty Darjeeling and pretentious Lapsang Souchong. As well as those lovely Malaysian coconut cookies available in shops along Stockton Street, which also come in peanut-flavour, and are absolutely addictive.
Crunchy, small, round and bite sized.
Perfect with a nice cup of tea.

I find myself going in to the kitchen for just one more regularly.

Good thing I'm not drinking tea to wash them down.

I'd never be able to go to sleep.

I am not a bunny rabbit. The only women I know who are like Susie Derkins are my apartment mate, the older sister of my best friend when I was a boy, whom I haven't seen in years, and the nurse at the hospital who in a very business-like way fiercely jabbed me with the needle when I was getting necessary shots.
That happened a few months ago.
It wasn't quite what I was expecting, at all, and I am still traumatized.


My apartment mate has a bear, whose boyfriend is a rabbit.

I doubt that either of them drink tea.

I rather suspect that both of them secretly indulge in a little nip of whiskey now and then, but if I were to suggest that, my apartment mate might clobber me.


In all honesty, I do not want to get clobbered.
I already got jabbed fiercely with a needle.
Sometimes admirable women scare me.


I'll just have another cookie and keep my mouth shut.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

PLANS. I HAVE PLANS!

It takes about five hours for the twitchy ache in my lower legs from the amlodipine besylate to diminish sufficiently that I can sleep. I ti...