Thursday, January 28, 2016

TREACHERY BEYOND THEIR SCOPE

Whenever even remotely possible, I point out that we Dutch bought the entire continent for twenty two dollars worth of tchotchkes, we own it now, and everybody else should kindly leave. That usually sends the conversation off into the twilight zone.

My first Dutch ancestor came over in 1630. An Englishman from whom I am also descended arrived before that. Unfortunately several million other people in the United States can claim as much.
I probably wouldn't like them.

Due to this accidental family history, I am related to several American presidents. Regrettably I am also probably related to a large number of the Republicans embarrassing themselves in pursuit of that office.

And possibly Charlie Manson.


I am sorry. Those are the branches of the family we do not associate with. You know, the syphilitic inbred distant cousins, whose behaviour and mores are beyond questionable. The cornfed folk.
Please don't lump me with them.


I barely even eat potatoes.


We all have relatives we regret. The great thing about being an American is that many of those people are in Deventer, Toishan, or Gujarat.

Yes?



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

4 comments:

e-kvetcher said...

Please tell me you're related to Martin Van Buren.

The back of the hill said...

Like many New Amsterdam descendants.
It's not so much a family tree as an interlocked family shrub.

e-kvetcher said...

I love the "Little Magician"!

The back of the hill said...

Great ad!

Search This Blog

A LACK OF PROPELLANT

Rereading my old posts reminds me that I used to be immoderate. And at times over the top. I've calmed down and grown up since then. Now...