Monday, September 10, 2012

CHEERFUL BAD ATTITUDE

I've given it considerable thought.  And consequently, there are several local enterprises which will not be seeing me again.  Besides Starbucks and Wells Fargo.

Three bars near my apartment.
Three Chinese restaurants.
A men's clothing store.
A card shop.
Two bookstores in Chinatown.
A tea merchant in Chinatown.
Two groceries in Chinatown.
One bakery in Chinatown.
A Thai restaurant.
A coffee shop.
A drugstore.
Berkeley.


Don't laugh at me.  Don't sneer at me.
Do not be snide or arrogant.
It's that simple.

Yes, I am not entirely like you. 
That does not mean that I am any less human, or any less deserving of consideration.

And if my accent in English or Cantonese strikes you as "funny", you should probably not make that clear.  Try not to show it, okay?


For you English speakers:  I speak far better English than most of you, and I'm quite a bit more literate, informed, and well-read too.  Suck it up.

For the Brits and Australians: there are many more of us Americans than there are of you, and we speak a more intelligible version of the language. There are distinct advantages to that. And the remark above for the "English speakers" is ALSO directed at you. 
Possibly more even than toward Americans.

For you Cantonese speakers: perhaps it escaped your attention that I can read your language pretty well.  Which, given how many glow-in-the-darks cannot manage that at all, and how many of you lot can barely even comprehend articles in the Chinese newspapers, should give you pause for thought.

For you Mandarin speakers:  stop acting so darned stuck up.
Northern speech does not represent civilization.


And, continuing this line of thought, there are at least six middle-aged Cantonese American men with Texas-sized chips on their shoulders who should get off their high horses and stop being so rude. 
Yes, it's your ancestral culture, and you are Chinese and entitled to speak about it.
I'm not, and my accent and pronunciation are obviously NOT what you think of as correct or passable by an extremely wide margin. 
But I can order whatever I want from the Chinese menu. 
And talk to the waiter.
You can't.

And by the way: your mothers all think that you are failures. 
That's very clear from your behaviour.

So suck it up.  Big time.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

ROTTEN BRAINS IN RED STATES

So my bright and optemistic idea of getting out of the house relatively early for a haircut, lunch, and afternoon tea, all punctuated by som...