Tuesday, September 22, 2020

LET'S TALK ABOUT TURKEY VULTURES AND CURRIES!

At the restaurant where I worked years ago I was often asked to explain things to Japanese customers. In their language. Because I spoke Cantonese.
Which is obviously the same. Dammit.

So I'd explain everything in English.

Which worked. Of course.

I don't think I've ever mentioned this to the Chinese I know.
There has never been a context in which it could come up.


Yes, we do talk about food.


Food is the common denominator.


Other things discussed:
Movies. Are you married? Hong Kong. Whiskey or Brandy. Medical issues. The weather. The movie "Valley Of The Dolls" (just one person). Caligraphy. Schools. The neighborhood.
Milk tea. Herbal medicines. Bakeries. Work. Where are you going now?
Making deposits (at my bank), and "is the bus finally coming?"

Sex, religion, and politics do not get mentioned.


It's all rather mundane. Normal life.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

OR MAYBE YOU ARE A HIPSTER

The first smoke of the day is accompanied by stumbling and dog poo. Not for me, as I am chipper and vibrant with hot strong coffee boiling t...