Wednesday, August 28, 2019

PORKCHOPS AT THE REGENT

An odd thing to notice: the nastier the personality, the more elaborate the hairdo. In soap operas set during the Tang Dynasty, when hair was already overdone. Second Young Mistress (二少奶奶 'yi siu naai naai') first raided the kitchen for steamed goodies, then got into a fight with one of the other ladies of the house, which necessitated the intervention of the old master, which meant that one of the servant girls got reamed another one (which is very common in Chinese dramas), then was unmasked as using poison and voodoo to bring harm to the young master. Women acting unbelievably horrible is a beloved regular feature of such shows, in all senses.
Tune in next week for more startling plot twists.

We now turn to "Love. Come Home" (愛·回家 'oi'.'wui gaa'). An ongoing series set in modern Hong Kong. During this episode the polished smarmy guy "generously" gets all of his friends wasted on imported wine.

The Tang period soap actually looks more interesting. More possibilities for weeping, wailing, histrionics, and heart-wrenching bathos.
And I have no clue what it's called. Sad.

Might have to do some research. Second Young Mistress will undoubtedly get punished for her evil actions, maybe expelled or sold to a farmer.


Love.Come home. Over eight hundred episodes. As well as a spin-off series. Ninety three characters, every single one of whom has a distinct personality and an important backstory connecting them to the tale of a retired pater familias, his household, and the law firm where his youngest son works. No, I can't tell all these people apart. I'm not Chinese. One has to habitually think in Chinese to keep track of so many different people.
As everyone who has read "The Scholars" (儒林外史 'yiu lam ngoi si', written by 吳敬梓 'ng king ji') or "Dream of the Red Chamber" (紅樓夢 'hong lau mong', very yprobably written by 曹雪芹 'chou suet kan') has undoubtedly, and with enormous regret realized.
A cast of hundreds.



泰汁豬扒飯,湯,香蒜麵包。

Whenever I go there I get a table with a good view of the teevee. Today's repast was Thai-style porkchops and rice, with veggies on the side, soup, and garlic bread. Plus a cup of Hong Kong milk tea. It's one of three luncheon sets, different every day.

They also do dumplings, including the chive and pork kind (韭菜餃 'gau choi gaau'), which I haven't had there because those are a breakfast thing, and I am seldom shaved and showered by that time on my days off. I would need an incentive. Or company. But I'm keen to try them, I've seen them made.
I trust their food skills.

Lunch was good. And the drama was excellent.
I go there two or three times per month.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

BEFORE THE RAINS

Well, sleep was sheerly awful. Legs. My cardiologist tells me that there is a solution for that. Yet I hesitate, because I'm walking mor...