Thursday, August 01, 2019

PULI FRY -- FRAZZLED MEAT WITH TAMARIND

The following dish is Indonesian Dutch as well as Anglo Indian. They call it 'puli fry' and I've entirely forgotten what we call it. Dammit.


PULI FRY

Half pound meat or slightly more, small chunk cut.
One big onion, sliced.
Tablespoon chili paste.
Teaspoon ground coriander.
Two cloves garlic, mashed.
Equivalent amount ginger, ditto.
One cup tamarind water.

Mix the meat with the chili paste, coriander, garlic, and ginger. Fry the sliced onion golden in sufficient oil, add the meat, fry till fragrant. Pour in the tamarind water and cook till thick. Adding a pinch of ground nutmeg while frying the meat is my recommendation here. The chili paste I use is usually sambal oelek, of which there is always a big jar in the refrigerator.


There's a reprinted late nineteenth century Dutch cookbook of Indonesian food in one of my bookcases, which I cannot find (I just looked, this place is a mess), which has essentially the same recipe. I forgot what we call it. Dutch websites are NO help. Pamela C. might know the Malay name.

Old school. Once very popular.
Because it's so easy.

Like empal.
But wet.



==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

IN TUNE WITH WILD LIFE

That noise outside while I was drifting awake? Turned out to be the streetsweeping vehicle. Not actually an owl. But it had sounded ike an o...