Tuesday, August 27, 2019

AND THERE WILL BE FOG

Today this blogger plans to have a quick bite at a lunch counter along Stockton Street, then a smoke his pipe, after which milk-tea and a pastry along Stockton Street at the bakery with the cheerful old folks at the tables in the back, followed, of course, by another bowlful of tobacco, because dawdling over a cup of milk tea takes more than an hour, which gives a sufficient interval between smokes.

Plus puttering around the neighborhood and doing a bit of grocery shopping. Noodles, and replenishing the larder with Indonesian ingredients like kemiri, and, if they can be found, kluwak ('keluak'; pangium edule nuts), which are used in Indonesian, Dutch Indo, and Peranakan cuisine.

Kecap manis, no. That can be made at home. Easily.

It's because of kecap manis that many people in Holland are, initially, confused by American ketchup. I can remember "ketjap" being in the house long before "ketchup" (from the 'International foods aisle'). Along with two or three jars of sambal (hot chili paste), which I didn't start liking till I was seven or eight. Here in the U.S. sweet soy sauce is hard to find. Sambals are fairly widely available ..... versions imported from Holland, locally made versions, and also, of course, easy to make at home because chilies are in every supermarket. Trassi, blacang, petis, buah kemiri, keluak, serai, and lengkuwas, dan lain lain all still take a bit of searching.


烟斗有理!

There are two alleys I'm thinking of dawdling in: Trenton, which runs from the hospital (東華醫院 'tung waa yi yuen') to Ping Yuen (西平園 'sai ping yuen'), and Commercial from Grant Avenue to Kearney. The awnings of the shuttered grocery stores directly opposite the entrance to the emergency room are convenient, especially during inclement weather, and after the shops on Stockton Street close there won't be too many pedestrians.

Commercial street (襟美慎街 'kam mei san kaai') is within hearing distance of musicians, and might have tourist snapping photos. I do not wish to be a background to some dingo's selfie. "Here I am in SF Chinatown, with some dude smoking a pipe in the background..., the dreadful old fossil was just standing there. So inconsiderate!"

Trenton Street (登頓街 'dang deun kaai') may have a cat or two near the projects, and will undoubtedly be quieter; too far away for the tourists.
It's also where I encountered a raccoon raiding the garbage cans years ago, so there are fond memories. The animal did not object to my pipe.
Unlike some of the fastidious out-of-towners.


If I see any of the staff I know from the hospital while I'm smoking, I shall of course hide my pipe while saying "hi". Out of a weird sense of politness and discretion. They've mentioned so many times that smoking is bad that I would feel like a degenerate otherwise.

Fine matured Virginia tobacco with a faint whiskey-like top-dressing probably counts as the worst perversion. Mmmm!
Delicious perfume.



I'll be channeling for Ratty or Mr. Badger from Wind in the Willows.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...