Tuesday, June 25, 2019

THE FROG AND THE MEATBALL

Several years ago I suggested in a blog essay to which I will not link that Kermit the Frog was considerably sexier than Andy Lau (Lau Tak-wah 劉德華). And I will stand by that post (to which I will not link). Kermit has aged quite well, Andy has become more bizarre. Personally I model myself far more on that frog than on a fabulously successful Hong Kong film actor.

I've seen videos of Andy Lau on stage recently. Holy crap.

Admittedly, Kermit's love life is not worth emulating. A pretentiously snooty egomaniac with whom as of 2015 he no longer forms a couple, followed by some porcine person named 'Denise' who broke up with him after less than half a year.

Showbiz, apparently, is hard on the single frog.

But Kermit is still a fine looking bachelor.

It's not known if he's currently dating.


The other Muppets are not quite as much worth styling oneself after, though there may be some similarities with me that I would prefer not to stress.
I would far rather be like Ralph the Piano Player, despite my lack of any musical ability, than Fozzie Bear or Gonzo the Great. Pepe the King Prawn also has a certain appeal (and great self-confidence).
As does Cookie Monster.


The first person to say "Swedish Chef" might get smacked.


This would be the perfect moment to post a recipe for Swedish Meatballs, except that there is no such thing in my repertoire. Over-spiced and served in a horrid gravy? You don't need my advice on doing that.

Besides which, I note that there is no allspice in my kitchen. It's a key ingredient.

The Italians, the Dutch, and the Chinese do better meatballs.

To my mind, fatty pork yields the tastiest result.

Clearly Kermit doesn't eat meatballs.

In that regard, we differ.




Post Scriptum: a meatball is called a 'gehaktbal' (guh hacked bawl) in Dutch, which is the other language in which I often think. When applied to a another person, it is not a flattering term. Originally flung in denigration at strike breakers on the docks (late twenties), subsequently used for school or work associates who insisted that everything had to be done precisely according to the rules. Nowadays more or less a dummy or a dweeb. Een bal gehakt (ayn ball guh-hacked) = an oaf, a bore, a dingbat, or a dunderhead.




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

SAN FRANCISCO IS TOO DANGEROUS!

A few years ago, my regular care physician and I had an informative talk about kangkong (ipomoea aquatica), sidetracking from my tobacco use...