Saturday, June 08, 2019

MIND READING, CURRY

The ability of Youtube to figure out what I might watch does not disturb me, seeing as largely I am a man of clean habits, and confine my viewing to mediaeval war, in-depth foreign language discussions, small furry creatures, morris dances, and cooking.
So when among the welter of options Youtube suggested chicken and potato curry, naturally I clicked.


薯仔咖喱雞
SYÜ CHAI GAA LEI GAI

[SOURCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWozOTg_2Nk.]


That's not quite how I would do it, but I do not have so fully equipped a restaurant-style kitchen. There are limitations. But it is, as the culinary gentleman said, hou gaan-taan (好簡單). Simple. If you can quickly deepfry the potato to gild it, and ditto lightly for the chicken.

Potato chunks, chopped chicken, salt, sugar, oil, vegetables.
Curry paste, coconut milk, chili oil, cilantro.
And a teevee crew (optional).

I always make it more complicated: fish sauce, galangal, lemon grass, fresh chilies, kaffir lime leaf, plus this and that.


Sometimes I wish that my favourite tea restaurants in Chinatown were open late in the evening. Especially Saturdays.

Youtube knew that I was hungry.




'OR CHIEN'

I also got to see someone preparing a Teochew-style Oyster Omelette (潮州蠔仔煎蛋 'chiu jau ho jai jin daan'), and Hokkien Fried Prawn Mee (炒福建蝦麵 'chaau fuk kin haa min'). Which really got my appetite up.

PS. Remember, everything with sambal.

都幾滿意。




==========================================================================
NOTE: Readers may contact me directly:
LETTER BOX.
All correspondence will be kept in confidence.
==========================================================================

No comments:

Search This Blog

THE ADDENDUM AT TEA

Tea time, as regular readers know, is very important to me. But instead of going to one of my regular places I gave it a miss today. I just ...